What's killing my inverts

sample789

So I've had my reef tank established for over a year now and when it was still new I bought a cleaner shrimp and it disappeared so a couple months later I tried an arrow crab and the same thing happened then to a coral banded and just last week another cleaner I took my water in to get it tested (I'm partially color blind and can't read my own tests) and the guy at the fish store told me my water is perfect except my alk is a little high. All my coral is thriving even my sps and lps what could be killing my inverts

I have a kole tang and vlamingi tang a lawnmower blenny and a mandarin I haven't heard any popping sounds and I've made it a habit to watch for mantis shrimp signs cuz one killed my favorite puffer in my old saltwater tank other then fish I have some hermits a sand sifting star and a bunch of stomatella

Is it possible they got sucked into the sump, or jumped? I had some peppermint shrimp try to jump out once. Check the over flows, and your sump.

Sorry 'bout your puffer. Sucks to lose a favorite fish.

I checked all my filters and stuff and I figured it one made it onto the floor my room would stink idk I'd like some inverts but tire of wasting my money

I've seen a few little ones but I couldn't imagine one of them killing an arrow crab I'm thinking it's something with my water chemistry the guy at the fish store said something about alk making shrimp explode internally but if affected inverts that bad I figured my coral wouldn't be doing well but it's all growing like crazy

I've seen a few little ones but I couldn't imagine one of them killing an arrow crab I'm thinking it's something with my water chemistry the guy at the fish store said something about alk making shrimp explode internally but if affected inverts that bad I figured my coral wouldn't be doing well but it's all growing like crazy

are there any long worms with tenticals or antena?

I don't know about alk making things explode but shrimp are particularly sensitive to abrupt changes in salinity. Does the salinity in your tank fluctuate a lot? Also, is your acclimation process appropriate? If the cleaner shrimp lasted a few months I would doubt an acclimation issue. I would check salinity over time. Other than that something must be eating them. You didn't mention having a wrasse... Mantis shrimp would be my guess or something else living in the rock. Good luck.

Back