What's the best 250 watt 20k DE HQI bulb?

ktrandc

Premium Member
I've been using Ushio 250 watt DE HQI 20k bulbs and it's time to swap out my bulbs. I wanted to use Radiums but I guess they don't make 250 watt 20k HQI bulbs. Anyone have any recommendations? What are you guys using?

The BEST for color is Helios... And they seem to be easier to find currently (was hard for a while). However the Helios DE units have had quality control issues in the past for some users, which is a shame, as it really is a lovely blue bulb that makes colors POP and look greatâ€"really the best blue DE bulb out there...

five is right in that the AB 20K is lovely for color too, but has less PAR than most other blue bulbs...

Phoenix's are very nice too (and as blue as any 20K), very bright with high PAR, but tend to wash out reds and pinks...

I haven't used Helios or AquaConnect but I've tried others and always go back to Phoenix.

I agree that Phoenix does wash out some pinks and reds though but generally a great bulb with good color and a good price.

Has anyone used the Megachrome 14.5K and 20K bulbs here?
Is it similar to the Phoenix?

Thanks,
Sam

I've used megachromes and have had good experience with them. I stopped using them though because they were a little too blue and pricey.

How long do you guys run your bulbs before you swap them out? I run mine for around 9 months and then notice a drop in growth

Wow that's fast. I thought I was doing pretty good at 9 months because I assumed most people were going at 12-16 months.

I wish I had a PAR meter. I didn't know bulbs lost their par that quickly.

Re: What's the best 250 watt 20k DE HQI bulb?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14135718#post14135718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ktrandc
I've been using Ushio 250 watt DE HQI 20k bulbs and it's time to swap out my bulbs. I wanted to use Radiums but I guess they don't make 250 watt 20k HQI bulbs. Anyone have any recommendations? What are you guys using?

The best 20K bulb I've used was probably the Ushio 20K. Good overall balance of color and PAR.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14142360#post14142360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yellowslayer13
most people use them for 9-12 but they cost me almost nothing so why not
Get radiums and sell them to me for little to nothing when you are done.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139001#post14139001 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yellowslayer13
2 months because bulbs are cheeeep for me and alot of bulbs loose 15% of PAR after 3 months

Can i buy your old bulbs? I need a 250w de phoenix.
lmk

Hey yellowslayer13,
What kind of bulbs do you use? I was at your warehouse a couple of weeks back, but i can't remember what you used? Hey if you have any 250w SE bulbs that are 12k-14k hit me up or even as you say you get them for cheap. hook me up man. Thanks

Tom at SoCal tropical fish just got some Reeflux 20k's in. I'm interested to see what those look like.

Back