whats the best alk test kit next to salifert?

120reeferman

iv bought 3 seperate test kits form salifert and they all are junk, ready off the charts for reef crystals salt mix that has been mixing for 48 hours reading a salinity of 35ppt

i can use a whole syring before it will change to the pinkish color.

this is becoming extreamly disturbing to me and want to get somthing a little more reliable

He has had some issues due to his sickness and is trying to fix things. Have you gone to his sponsor site here on RC ?

Other kits, API, LaMotte, HACH and Elos. Some like SeaChem, I don't.

i would suggest Seachem, are you sure you are doing the test properly?
what parms you testing?
did you purchase online or at LFS?
JDM :)

<<< Other kits, API, LaMotte, HACH and Elos. Some like SeaChem, I don't. >>>

Hmmm.....I've been using the Seachem alk / pH kits for years without any problems, what don't you like about them?

I don't like the little "egg crates". It is just a personnel thing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10442468#post10442468 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
I don't like the little "egg crates". It is just a personnel thing.

You said a mouthful there pal. :)

120, get yourself an API alk kit. It wont get you to the tenth, like Salifert, but it will get you close.

I'm not having any issues with my Saliferts. RC generally runs around 12 dkh @ 1.0265 (35ppt)

Are you sure your method of salinity measurement isn't off ?

On the Salifert's, if you refill the syringe after the first one is exhausted, when the color changes you just add the two values together.

i use one whole syring and then bring up another .1 to change it pink.

my salinity is dead on, i calibrated it with a buddys cal fluid for his salinity prob to 35ppt

my refratometer was off a dad with calibration from rodi, maybe off 2-4ppt

i purchased all of my kits through a lfs, im sure i could take them back, my local fish store is pretty cool about this sorta stuff.

so out of all the kits suggested wich one would be more accurate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10442710#post10442710 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 120reeferman
i purchased all of my kits through a lfs, im sure i could take them back, my local fish store is pretty cool about this sorta stuff..

I would try this method first. I recently had a bad Salifert Calcium test kit and I took it back and exchanged it with another kit and it quickly became apparent that the first kit was BAD.

My Ca was reading over 500ppm for RC using the bad kit (not possible). The new kit measured it properly at 370ppm.

FYI... I get a dKH of 11.2 from my RC at 1.024ppt salinity

Back