What's the best fish for eating Caulerpa?

Michael Hoaster

Registered Seaweedist
Premium Member
I've got a LOT of feather caulerpa growing in my seaweed tank. I was fine with it for some time, but now I'm getting tired of pruning it myself, and I worry it will choke out other plants.

So, now I'm looking for a fish to eat it. I've had success in the past with an Atlantic Blue Tang, but I'd like to try something else this time.

Anybody got a caulerpa-eating fish recommendation?

I have Caulerpa in my DT and none of my fish or inverts want to eat it. So I would rule out Lawnmower Blennie, Yellow Tang, Sixline Wrasse, Orchid Dottyback, Occ. Clowns, Coral Banded Shrimp, Green legged Hermit Crab and various snails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Tastee! I searched this question and found somewhat of a consensus that Rabbitfish maybe is my best bet. The downside is these fish get rather large. So I'm still interested to hear other accounts of good fish calerpa eaters.

All my tangs will eat it
I have 15 in my tank but yes my 2 barred rabbitfish seems to eat it the most

I often take a rock out of my sump and my tangs abd rabibut Fish pick it clean in minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burn it [emoji91]

Actually draining the whole tank, letting it sit outside empty in freezing temps for 4 days while away for work, then pressure washing the caulerpa away works really well. Especially when your wallet now has $750 in it!

Yep sold it all yesterday. Kept my 2.5g all in one I made the foam wall tutorial on and it's all that's left.

Hope you're well!

Sam! Yeah, that works. Good to hear from you. Nice sale!

I'm good thanks, and hope you're doing well too!

I've had very good results with adding several small urchins (Halloween and Rock Boring) to help combat the Caulerpa that went sexual in my sump and tried to take over my display tank. I added a longspine urchin at the same time and would suggest that you not add a longspine to the mix. My longspine is very aggressive (go figure) and actually advances towards me instead of retreating. It is a very painful sting.

Thanks gamerunr! It's good to be reminded that there are some inverts that could help. I appreciate the tip. I'll keep that in mind!

Funny how Maui-wowie is legal in CA, but Caulerpa is not. (yeah I know about fish and game laws...)

Back