Whats the best tool for cleaning the back glass of algae in a deep/tall tank?

baldwinaquaman

I bought one of the multi tools, but my tank is so large that it takes a good while to completely clean the back glass......any ideas, maybe some good pics?

If it's glass, razor blades work the best, one pass and it's gone. Maybe you could get a long handled scraper and affix a razor blade holder to it. Only downside to razor blades is that they are a one use item, after one use they will rust, so just throw it away...but hey, you can get a box of 100 blades for ~$5 :)

thanks Jeff, although I was really looking for something bigger than blades (it's what I use now) and it takes a really long time to get the whole backside, like 15 min. I'm looking to get a MSX 250A skimmer soon, (if it will fit into my sump that is).

You should be able to find some large blades (like 2.5 or 3") in the painting section of your local Lowe's/HD ;)

In dead serious about the
long handled ice scrapers for your car.

Cheap tough and perfect. I use my $1 ice scraper fom walmart all the time.

I'll let you guys in on my secret for LARGE reef tanks. I used this on the back of a 300g reef tank. You can make or buy a Magnet with a razor blade adapter (I made mine using a magfloat) THEN you attach a 1/2 pvc pipe or wooden stick to the outside magnet and you now have an extension that will get WAY behind the tank in hard to reach areas. You can clean the back glass in seconds with a fresh razor.

I can clean the entire back glass from outside the tank!

I'll let you guys in on my secret for LARGE reef tanks. I used this on the back of a 300g reef tank. You can make or buy a Magnet with a razor blade adapter (I made mine using a magfloat) THEN you attach a 1/2 pvc pipe or wooden stick to the outside magnet and you now have an extension that will get WAY behind the tank in hard to reach areas. You can clean the back glass in seconds with a fresh razor.

I can clean the entire back glass from outside the tank!

Sounds like your other hand stays nice and dry. This could be the perfect solution for holding your beer while you clean.

Back