whats the best way to get rid of sea grass?

sx230

i started with little patches of grass now its all over the place i had a yellow tang, it would trimmed the grass but got rid it because it was nipping on my acros. is sea grass and sea hair the same or diffrent? thinking of buying yellow tang any advice would help out. my tank is mainly sps dont want nothing thats going to be bothering them.

Seagrass generally grows in the sand with a root structure. I s the stuff you have on the sand or on the LR. Sounds like what you have is most like a hair algae. Can you post some pics?

url]

i was able to get cloose up pic of these little patches of grass should i be concerned how might i be able to get rid of it?
120397CIMG0379_edited__Small___Custom___Custom___Custom___Custom_.JPG

Well, its a green hair alga. The pictures don't have enough detail but the genus is likely Bryopsis. Bryopsis is controllable by nutrient limitation, IME. However, some people seem to be plaqued by Bryopsis and have a hard a time getting rid of it. There is a stickied thread at the top of this forum about Bryopsis - how it spreads and potential controls. A yellow tang or tangs in the same genus (Zebrasoma) may pick at Bryopsis, as may rabbitfish (Siganus), but I don't think that it would be preferential graze for them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9301628#post9301628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SitBackAndWatch
smoke it
i wish i could i feel my tank is at its prime sps growing and healthy nice colors (and now this junk :mad: ) oh well could be worse

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9295152#post9295152 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by piercho
Well, its a green hair alga. The pictures don't have enough detail but the genus is likely Bryopsis. Bryopsis is controllable by nutrient limitation, IME. However, some people seem to be plaqued by Bryopsis and have a hard a time getting rid of it. There is a stickied thread at the top of this forum about Bryopsis - how it spreads and potential controls. A yellow tang or tangs in the same genus (Zebrasoma) may pick at Bryopsis, as may rabbitfish (Siganus), but I don't think that it would be preferential graze for them.
i did have yellow tang and did great in controling sea hair i never seen any patches of hair when i had him but he also nibbled on my acros so i sold it i might take my chances and introduce another yellow tang into my tang and hope doesnt start with sps coral i think tang got to big for my tank and was bored lol

I have some hair algea as well, my hippo tang sometimes munches on it. other than that, the only other hair algea eater is one of my turbo snails (oldest and largest).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9303386#post9303386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SitBackAndWatch
I have some hair algea as well, my hippo tang sometimes munches on it. other than that, the only other hair algea eater is one of my turbo snails (oldest and largest).
same here my turbo was knocking all my new frags down till i glued them to rock ****ed me off when i would buy new frag then come home from work excited to see it and find frag somewere in bottom of sandbed :mad2:

Back