What's the deal with the skimmer footprints?

Yes but does that footprint include the pump? There is nothing that says the skimmer has to be in a particular orientation, as long as it all fits in the skimmer section, but there is always the option for an external skimmer, if you have room left in the stand.

Jim

I really dont have any room left over.

On this skimmer it says the footprint is 13x10. The diameter is 6. I dont get it. I understand that the diameter is the cylinder but if that is 6 how does the rest of it add up to it being 13x10???

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi..._campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=VX1115

But how are you going to get the water from the center section, into the skimmer (return) section? NOT

Jim

If I was going to, which I am not, I would have to have the drain line come down into either the left side or the center. Then all the water would flow through the bubble trap to a return pump on the right side. The only problem would be that the water level in the fuge would be the same as the skimmer section as it sits.

Hey...

I am/was in the same boat you are. I have a 10G sump and can't fit anything bigger than 6x9.5''. I ended up buying the Cadlights Bubble Magus skimmer. From what I've seen/read, they work very well. Mine is being shipped this week. That octopus won't fit into your section, tried it already.

OMG Ed....and U just finished that nice sump. I just finished mine as well. Coppy of a Melvs as well, BUT I built mine around skimmer I had bought! There are some good small foot print skimmers though. BK Mini but you pay for it, Also the foot print is not EXACTLY what you need. My ATB 840 says you need 10.5 X 14 and that is not true. If you you turn it diaganal you can fit it in like 8.5 X 12 or 13. Maybe you can borrow a friends or two to see if it fits, or ust go to local LFS and bring a carboard template of your allowable footprint nd see.....

OMG Ed....and U just finished that nice sump. I just finished mine as well. Coppy of a Melvs as well, BUT I built mine around skimmer I had bought! There are some good small foot print skimmers though. BK Mini but you pay for it, Also the foot print is not EXACTLY what you need. My ATB 840 says you need 10.5 X 14 and that is not true. If you you turn it diaganal you can fit it in like 8.5 X 12 or 13. Maybe you can borrow a friends or two to see if it fits, or ust go to local LFS and bring a carboard template of your allowable footprint nd see.....

Yea, I know, what a mistake. I havent ever seen a skimmer other than my Aqua C, so I had no idea this would be a problem. I just suprised no one chimmed in on my build thread.
I think I will find a good one that will fit.

Hey...

I am/was in the same boat you are. I have a 10G sump and can't fit anything bigger than 6x9.5''. I ended up buying the Cadlights Bubble Magus skimmer. From what I've seen/read, they work very well. Mine is being shipped this week. That octopus won't fit into your section, tried it already.

Are you sure? Mine is almost 8in x9in, that is a pretty big difference diagonally.

Let me know how you like the BM.
Thanks, ED

Hey...

So did you actually try to place one in your sump? If yes, how close did it come to fitting?

I have not heard anything on either of the skimmers. There is a guy selling the older cadlights skimmer in the FS section that is only $110 but I'm not sure it would be better.
The reason I say this is that he stated he bought the other BM that I suggested. Again I have not used any of these skimmers but have had a similar skimmer section in my Life Reef sump so I have searched for small footprint skimmers. I bought a ATB. I highly recommend but out of your budget.
Post up a question to see if anyone has used them and see what you get.

haha out of his and every other reefers budget... lol... 900$ plus for 250 gallon rated WOW. looks super nice, worth though you say eh... scratch neck.... scratch head.... scratch ear I WANT IT!!! Looks wicked and very little electrical consumption

I am not sure which skimmer you are referring to but I run a ATB Multi use. There are a few ATB's below the $900 plus range along with many above the $900 range. I was not suggesting a ATB because they are way over the budget. I will definitely suggest a cone if you can swing it.

Are you any closer to a decision?

From what I read the octo 160, MSX 160, and SWC 160 have the same footprint. I just took some photo's of My SWC 160 but the camera batteries died before I could down load them. check back in a few hours I should have them loaded. then you will be able to see the measurements.

Here you go

Here you go

Hope this helps
4133505507_c0fbfaecdf.jpg

4134267620_45cc18ee71.jpg

The skimmer is a SWC Xtreme 160
http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4&zenid=pcdvnnsiokjc4j2g4igeojrplc4uu4mj

Yeah I'm not sure either. I had it in a 7x13 space with a ton of room on the 13" side. I will say the baffle in my sump was a little lower then the outlet elbow which work nicely for me. My other option was to either cut the legs a little or snap the leg at the glue joint and glue it over in a narrower position. Mine actually was delivered with one leg broken off which worked out nicely.

I think I saw one in the FS thread recently.

Yeah I'm not sure either. I had it in a 7x13 space with a ton of room on the 13" side. I will say the baffle in my sump was a little lower then the outlet elbow which work nicely for me. My other option was to either cut the legs a little or snap the leg at the glue joint and glue it over in a narrower position. Mine actually was delivered with one leg broken off which worked out nicely.

I think I saw one in the FS thread recently.

Yea it sold. Bummer. Oh well, I will get one someday.

I cant believe I spent all that time asking around and doing research on small skimmers and I can fit the 160 easily. I really felt like I was leaving enough room for a skimmer in my sump when I built it. I was really ****ed when I started looking at skimmers and I thought they were all too big. This reef octopus will fit easily and the footprint says it wont. I dont get it.

Back