What's the deal with the skimmer footprints?

EdSnyder

Is the footprint the exact size of the bottom of a skimmer. Or is that a recommended space for a skimmer? I cant find any skimmer footprint that fits my sump. 7.5inx9in.

Is the footprint the exact size of the bottom of a skimmer. Or is that a recommended space for a skimmer? I cant find any skimmer footprint that fits my sump. 7.5inx9in.

The custom one you just built? The footprint is the size (length and width) of the skimmer. Ya need to know that before you build a sump.......

Jim

[Ya need to know that before you build a sump.......

Jim[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jim. I know that, now. Hind sight is 20/20. Am I stuck with the Aqua C Remora, or is there something out there that will fit?

Ed

Last edited:
ER1413_1.jpg

This skimmers footprint is 9x9in. It says the center chamber is 5in. So I am guessing the other 4 inches come from that tube over to the left. Diagonally my skimmer section in my sump is about 12inx12in. So this would fit. Right? I would just have to turn it at an angle.
Or should I just stick with the remora?

There are a lot of skimmers that fit 7.5 x 9. How many gallons do you need to process and your budget would be a good start.

There are a lot of skimmers that fit 7.5 x 9. How many gallons do you need to process and your budget would be a good start.

Ahh! Thank you, I feel better now. Alright. Total volume of about 70gal. Medium bio load. And a mix of soft coarals and Sps. Honestly I have been doing pretty well with my Aqua C Remora Pro, but I think I can do better. That and I plan on more fish in the future. Something around $300. Preferably lower than $300.
Thanks,
ED

Octopus Extreme Skimmer Series 160 would be nice you can find them for around $269.95

some info on one for ya

Model 160

Recommended for tanks up to 160 gallons for average bio load.

Height: 23 inches

Body Diameter: 6.4 inches

Footprint: 8 inches X 10 inches

Well at the 300 mark I think it narrows the field considerably. Bubble King was coming to mind at first but It blows the 300 budget out of the water. Bubble Magus may be more what your looking for. Cadlights has a new version of the BM and it fits their tiny Pro sump

http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=155

http://www.myreefcreations.com/OF-100

Just a couple. Way better than the Aqua-c from what I read. My opinion not gospel.

Wow! Thanks for your time. Which one would you chose out of the 2?

Octopus Extreme Skimmer Series 160 would be nice you can find them for around $269.95

some info on one for ya

Model 160

The size skimmer section of my sump is 7.5x9in. Do you think that would fit?

That footprint is too big by his description. The footprint on those skimmers can be modified though and I see you are handy with acrylic fabrication.

some info on one for ya

Model 160

CV-MSX-160.jpg

If the body Diameter is only 6.4 then I guess this one could fit. So why does the footprint say 8x10in. Man I would hate to buy this one and come up short on space. It sure does look like a nice skimmer.

That footprint is too big by his description. The footprint on those skimmers can be modified though and I see you are handy with acrylic fabrication.

Yea pretty handy, not too good with the planning though.:lmao: What would I have to do?

I have not heard anything on either of the skimmers. There is a guy selling the older cadlights skimmer in the FS section that is only $110 but I'm not sure it would be better.
The reason I say this is that he stated he bought the other BM that I suggested. Again I have not used any of these skimmers but have had a similar skimmer section in my Life Reef sump so I have searched for small footprint skimmers. I bought a ATB. I highly recommend but out of your budget.
Post up a question to see if anyone has used them and see what you get.

I'm guessing you have seen it, but just in case you havent.

sump1_3.jpg

I guess if it had to be, the return could be on the end with the skimmer in the middle. And the center measures 13x9

That's what I was going to suggest. I know its not what you designed at first but it won't hurt the refugium that it will drain into the skimmer section then the return. Some pods may get chopped up in the skimmer but it's not the end of the world. That is of coarse if you were stuck on going with a bigger skimmer and not the other ones I pointed out.

Off topic- How is the hose you have stayng in those ball valves?

That's what I was going to suggest. I know its not what you designed at first but it won't hurt the refugium that it will drain into the skimmer section then the return. Some pods may get chopped up in the skimmer but it's not the end of the world. That is of coarse if you were stuck on going with a bigger skimmer and not the other ones I pointed out.

Off topic- How is the hose you have stayng in those ball valves?

The octopus 160 is looking to be right up my alley...As long a I can cram it in there??? I will do some research. The hose is glued with water proof locktite to the ball valves. Not the best thing to do, I know. But I was in a hurry and couldnt find the right parts. I let it dry overnight and it has held supprisingly well. I may go back and redo.

I'm guessing you have seen it, but just in case you havent.

sump1_3.jpg

I guess if it had to be, the return could be on the end with the skimmer in the middle. And the center measures 13x9

But how are you going to get the water from the center section, into the skimmer (return) section? NOT

Jim

Last edited:
Back