whats wrong with homedepot acrylic?

I've bought 2 sheets of 3/8" from Delvie Plastics. The stuff I got from them was Spartech polycast. I've already made a sump out of some of it and it turned out really nice. And Delvie plastics seems to have the best prices I have ever found online.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9841722#post9841722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BOKER420
Back to what's wrong with HD acrylic. There isn't really anything wrong with it. It is most likely extruded acrylic sheet not cast. It is harder to machine a nice edge because it likes to chip and melt when you cut it. I've used it for baffles many times. You just wouldn't want to use it to build a tank. And actually after shipping cost the price at HD is really close to the same as online.

I would have to agree it has to be extruded. I've used plently of acrylic during my days as a Car Stereo installer and cutting acrylic was a breeze. I just picked up some acrylic from HD two weekends ago and wow! This stuff is a mess! Trying to machine/cut is a nightmare.

If you do go with the HD acrylic, be very carefull making cuts and be patient! It melts/cracks very easily!

If you are unsure where to buy local, look up a sign shop, they use lots of acrylic sheet and can steer you to a place or even order for you with their own order.
Cheers!

Back