When Chromis Attack...

kennykimny

Hey all,

My tank is about a week old now, and I have two questions about two different fish:

1) I have three green chromis, and the largest one keeps picking on the smallest one. The smallest one is looking very "patchy", it almost seems like some of its scales are missing. Could this be an effect of the bullying? Will it heal? What can I do to fix the problem?

2) I have 2 blue damsels in the tank, and one is bigger than the other. The larger one has a beautiful blue color, and but the smaller one has lightened in shade since I've brought it home. It doesn't eat very much, and it hangs out in a corner by itself. The only time it moves pretty much is when the other damsel (or the other fish) chase him. Should I do anything

Thanks,
K

1) Common Chromis behavior. In Most cases, Chromis will single out the weakest link in the group until only one or two are left.

2) The small damsel could be getting picked on is just stressed out. Nothing you can do besides get the larger one out of the tank.

if you tank is only a week old it is not ready for fish. what are your parameters how bigs is your tank? damels are very agressive the biggerone is most likely bullying the smaller one and can/will eventually kill him. the chromis are less agressive but i have heard of them picking on the smallest in a group. we need to know more about your tank before we can help

I was told to purchase these fish for their hardy characteristic in order to begin/complete my cycle with them by my LFS. I am aware my chemical levels are high, but that is expected with a new tank and cycling.

29 Gal FOWLR Tank
Live Sand
Live Rock
2 Ocellaris Clowns
3 Green Chromis
2 Blue Damsels

Emperor 400 Filter
Whisper 30 Filter

Temp 78
Salinity 1.023
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 10.0 (ppm)

Just some advise.... don't try to cycle a tank with fish in the future. There's tons of other ways to cycle a tank without putting fish under stress.

Thanks, I'll make a note of it. Other than the bullying, the fish seem to be doing very well. They all have hearty appetites, and they are all very active.

You could just let the pick on each other until only a few are left, or you could take the injured one out and put him in the QT until fully recovered. That is what I did with mine. I have had a shoal of chromis for about a year. I had to rescue with the same technique before, but now they are all happy.

You have seven damsels (clowns and chromis are part of the damsel family) in a week-old 29g -- there are quite a few things wrong with this equation IMO.

1) You don't need fish to cycle the tank, the LR will produce enough ammonia all on its own

2) The fish weren't quarantined, which means they may have introduced parasites into the tank -- being under stress, which they certainly are right now between the water quality and bullying, makes them very vulnerable to disease outbreak

3) There are too many fish -- even a fully cycled, mature 29g isn't large enough for those seven fish. All are territorial, and you're going to see more and more aggression as they age.

My advice is to remove all the fish, return most to the store and keep two or three (whichever fish you want as permanent tank residents) in a quarantine tank. By the time they're through quarantine in about six weeks, the tank will be fully cycled and ready for them.

Newbies please listen to ACBlinky his advise is dead on... Research, Research, Research......... Patients, Patients, Patients..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11682057#post11682057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kennykimny
Yes I understand all that, but they will be out of that tank and into a 75 g or greater tank in 3 months.

I think you are missing the point--they should be removed now --until your tank cycles. :eek2:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11681740#post11681740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ACBlinky
You have seven damsels (clowns and chromis are part of the damsel family) in a week-old 29g -- there are quite a few things wrong with this equation IMO.

1) You don't need fish to cycle the tank, the LR will produce enough ammonia all on its own

2) The fish weren't quarantined, which means they may have introduced parasites into the tank -- being under stress, which they certainly are right now between the water quality and bullying, makes them very vulnerable to disease outbreak

3) There are too many fish -- even a fully cycled, mature 29g isn't large enough for those seven fish. All are territorial, and you're going to see more and more aggression as they age.

My advice is to remove all the fish, return most to the store and keep two or three (whichever fish you want as permanent tank residents) in a quarantine tank. By the time they're through quarantine in about six weeks, the tank will be fully cycled and ready for them.

well said ACblinky--I second it---er third it I guess:smokin:

I can't believe LFS---advise new reefers to cycle their tanks with live fish. With so many other humane ways---why do they still insist on doing it?????

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11682116#post11682116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I can't believe LFS---advise new reefers to cycle their tanks with live fish. With so many other humane ways---why do they still insist on doing it?????

To most LFS's, all they see is dollar signs.

Check around for a local club and see if they can point you towards a more responsible LFS. Other than that, ACBlinky nailed it.

Back