When family couldn't care less

Africans got me started and never looked back.lol, Angels (freshwater and might I add nothing that happened for me was sweeter then obtaining pair and all the babies since) Discus was nice too. Never had interest from wife-all those years ago lol(except my son when he was really just a kid-8-12. I cannot live without an aquarium in my home!!!. Salt is my direction and love RC for invaluable info. I know those that hear me. God love ya.
lol

nice! I was going to do cichlids but decided to skip over that and discus and go for the gold!! lol glad I did though! sooooo much more rewarding! my husband USED to like fish in college, although he had some suicidal fish that got stuck inside his decoration and his roommate thought it would be fun to try and shoot his fish with a pellet gun as we discovered the orange pellets one day :/ maybe his bad experiences turned him off lol

Quote from last girl;
Yeah, she's gone.
Gotta make sure your significant other is "reef safe".

THIS MADE MY DAY!! hahahah absolutely love it! Luckily for me my girlfriend was more than happy to buy an aquarium for me for my birthday as long as she had "a bunch of pretty colors and a "nemo fish"

actually Im kinda glad the wife doesnt take much interest in my reef. #1 we'd spend twice as much money at the lfs and it would still be coming out of my money. #2 Id have something stupid in my tank that I really didnt want. #3 Id have to spend an equal amount of time with her, at her hobby, And I always stick myself with pins and neddles.

Great thread! I ended up leaving the hobby for a number of years when our children were young because of the time requirements and the strain it put on my wife. In hind sight it was a great decision, albeit difficult at the time. I did spend a lot more time with the kids after parting with my tank, wonderful experiences that I wouldn't trade for the world. It has been a great joy to get back into reefing now that the children are grown and through college. I was vindicated when my daughter got her first out of college job working as an aquarist at Birch Aquarium after volunteering there during school.

I always feel terrible when I read about people making fun of their spouses and how they fight and couldn't care less about the interests of the other. Your spouse should be your best friend and be supportive of you and your interests.

THIS MADE MY DAY!! hahahah absolutely love it! Luckily for me my girlfriend was more than happy to buy an aquarium for me for my birthday as long as she had "a bunch of pretty colors and a "nemo fish"

Also loved the "reef safe" remark lol

I always feel terrible when I read about people making fun of their spouses and how they fight and couldn't care less about the interests of the other. Your spouse should be your best friend and be supportive of you and your interests.

Agree.

My first tank was a Father's Day giftie from her and the kids. It began as a "family tank", my wife & I both doing work on the tank. One time she found some perceived problem in the tank and decided to medicate. She got the dose-per-gallon wrong and WAY over-medicated. We lost 90% of the livestock. She felt terrible about it, and the tanks have been "mine" ever since.

She doesn't complain about the time or $$$ I spend on the hobby, though. Heck, I'm into photography as well, and I've been known to spend as much on a single Nikon lens as I have tied up in my (small) reef tank.

(I actually own a carbon fiber tripod that cost nearly $1k!) :rolleyes:

My wife had that 'you are damn crazy' look when I told her I was going to set up a salt water fish tank. Her words are 'I eat fish, I don't look at them'. LOL.

After the tank was set up ... I often caught her staring at the tank. She also has called me at work on occasion when she thinks she notices something 'off'.

Well, that was the 29 gallon. I am building a 125 now, and she has been supportive. Though I'd think if she had a solid grasp on how much the darn thing is costing, she'd probably have a less positive opinion on the matter. :(

My wife had that 'you are damn crazy' look when I told her I was going to set up a salt water fish tank. Her words are 'I eat fish, I don't look at them'. LOL.

After the tank was set up ... I often caught her staring at the tank. She also has called me at work on occasion when she thinks she notices something 'off'.

Well, that was the 29 gallon. I am building a 125 now, and she has been supportive. Though I'd think if she had a solid grasp on how much the darn thing is costing, she'd probably have a less positive opinion on the matter. :(
Ha ha my fiance knew about my tank build but guess she didn't realize the size of it until she saw it this weekend, i got that "you are damn crazy look" lol. I guess a 50g. to 180g. is quite a big upgrade.

My girlfriend bought me a 20 gal tank 4 year ago for my birthday and thought she was crazy. Why would I want a aquarium, its for kid who learn life and death with goldfish...

Fast foward to now and im crazy in love with the hobby, I never imagined in my wildest dream 4 year ago that I would spend all that money in a "simple" aquarium tank.

And my girlfriend, well shes ok with it. Its her who created the monster that I am. :lmao:

Quote from last girl;
"If we got married I'd be tied to "THAT THING"(pointing shaky finger at tank) forever!"
Yeah, she's gone.
Gotta make sure your significant other is "reef safe".

HAHAHA that is hilarious!!!!!!

I've been trying to get a tank for six years.....the wife would always shoot me down when I brought it up, but this last go I just wore her out on the subject. So the conclusion was------"that thing is NOT going in the house. You can put it in your gameroom" That was fine with me :beer:-------> Fast forward 6 months and she comes to me......"It turned out way nicer than I thought it would......is there anyway we can move it into the house now?" I told her nope, but we can always get another one!

She has since turned out to be my "landscaper" with the tank when I bring new corals home. (although I still have to sneak them in!)

I have a great wife who understands my passion. As do I with her so that helps. We have a grandkid who loves checking out the tank. He hangs with me while I work on it. At times he's a great help at others he's? I think this hobby has brought us together a little more. She does at times get that look in her eye when I come home with stuff. I've learned the art of stealth. I get the new stuff put in real quick. By the time she notices she replies with "that looks nice". I think that I've tried to involve them with this hobby without getting hurt by rejection if they don't take hold right away. Her son from another marriage, we don't get along, sometimes I catch him checking out the tank and we start up a conversation. It's a great way to get us talking.

I am in the 'she hates it' club. I feel that I have to sneak downstairs just todo stuff with the tank. Unless there is a major issue, or I am setting up a new system (like now with my 270), I really do not spend a lot of time with it. But in her eyes, I soend too much and I do not do anything with her or the kids becasue of this. It is the only hobby I have, I am home every day, and I take caree of or fix everthing that needs to be done by myself. Sometimes you just can't win

Yeah, your spouse should be supportive to a point but if the hobby doesn't interest them, chances are they have other hobbies that they like that you could care less about. Kinda works both ways. Who cares if you family doesn't like it? It's YOUR hobby. YOU appreciate it. They have hobbies that THEY like. No biggie

Back