when hermits attack

sundevil_brian

This morning i went to check out my tank and i noticed this

HPIM0715.jpg

so i checked my scarlet hermit's shell and he was still there, so all was good... at least thats what i thought.

latter i was looking in my tank again and i noticed a frenzy near a little cave in one of my rocks where my serpent stars hang out. after watching for a wile i noticed the serpent star pulled away a scarlet hermit leg. i checked the molt and it still had all its legs!!! i tried to break up the frenzy to hopefully save the scarlet hermit but it was too late. one of the regular hermits ripped what was left of the scarlet out and then took the shell.

here is what was left
HPIM0712.jpg

so i decided to not let it go to waste so it became serpent star food
HPIM0720.jpg

Gotta get them some varied larger shells of their proper preference. It's cheaper than new hermits. They'll be after your snails next, if they see one a size bigger than theirs.

actaully, where i got my hermits, the shells were more lol. i kinda got into an argument w/the guy about it, because thats kinda...weird that he was selling shells for more.

and ya, i would say get some more shells too. and w/my luck...they killed the snails, but then decided the shell was too small and went back to theirs lol.

is that the serpent I gave you? I have never seen mine eat. My really big brittle and big red serpent stars eat all the time but the little ones I never see eat.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7547683#post7547683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Gotta get them some varied larger shells of their proper preference. It's cheaper than new hermits. They'll be after your snails next, if they see one a size bigger than theirs.

yea thats what i figured the prob was. i have some extra shells in there that some of the other hermit crabs took but i guess they weren't good enough for this hermit. im gona get some more shells so it hopefully doesn't happen again.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7547953#post7547953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jpslickorocks
is that the serpent I gave you? I have never seen mine eat. My really big brittle and big red serpent stars eat all the time but the little ones I never see eat.

those are infact the serpents that you gave me. they don't eat anything that is alive. they usualy grab some of the mysis when i feed it to the crabs (since i have no fish yet). so i gave the crab to it and it pulled it under the rock. it was kinda fun to watch.

Back