When to start

Bishopsnet

I'm starting my tank this week. My son is getting married Friday. So I will be out of town from Thursday to Sunday. If I add rock, sand and water Wednesday, do I need to be at my house the next few days or can I just let it do its thing?

Also, how long do I need to run the pump to mix my salt water before adding it to the tank? Approximately 19 gallons.

Thanks!

from my very limited experience it don't take long for the salt to dissolve, it took about 30ish minutes for the salt to dissolve when i mixed 35 gallons last week. you will be able to see if it has dissolved or not.

my only concern with being out of town for 4 days and letting it do its thing is water evap, in my AIO system if i didn't have an ATO my tank would evap under the return pump level and burn up my pump in 2-3 days
i guess i would be concerned with little quirks in the system also, maybe some plumbing coming loose or whatever. i personally would want to be around the first few days to make sure everything is running smooth before i left it unmonitored for 4 days.

Or, since you are just starting, put the water, salt, rock, and sand in the tank and only connect a power head for circulation. That way, the cycle starts, and then you can monitor equipment after you get back.

Back