When would you separate maroons?

Zephyrsue

Hello!

I have a 54gal corner tank currently stocked with a snowflake moray eel, a green chromis (tried a small school- bought 5 and hoped for 2/3 to make it but as chromis do, just the one seemed to be the victor. Alas, he seems content), and two new young maroon clownfish- a lightning maroon and a gold nugget x lightning maroon. I ordered both of the maroons off of ORA and the GNXLM is probably about 1.5" in length and the LM is a bit smaller, about 1-1.25" in length. I've had them for about a week. The GNXLM is clearly the more dominant of the two and seems to keep the LM sort of corralled near the heater and will charge him if he gets too far away. They of course had their expected "œsizing up" and a bit of wrestling the first couple of days but both seem completely unharmed. The GNXLM seems very confident and content, as I recognize in all of the false percs I've had and "œshe" surprisingly leaves my chromis alone. The LM on the other hand seems very anxious and orients himself at an angle and hoovers by the heater or sometimes goes and hangs out in the rock pile with the eel (who is easily 14-16" in length but very well fed so leaves my fish alone besides curiously looking sometimes). My question is, this behavior has persisted over a week. Do you think the maroons have a chance of "œpairing" and becoming BFFs? They weren't exactly cheap so I don't want either of them to get hurt or die from stress but I don't want to step in and prevent a potential pairing just because I'm nervous about it myself. I do have a spare 10gal that I can get set up if need be and would probably just keep the LM in there by himself, but I feel like if I do that then he will definitely become a female as well and I will have to keep them separated indefinitely and eventually have to get a second larger tank as he grows. I would rather prevent all of that - I got them in hopes to have a nice pair lol. Any words of advise?

Back