Where can I get shelf rock? Flat rock?

MarineGirl411

I'd like to make some ledges in my future rockwork. I cannot, however, find any shelf rock/flat rock. Any ideas? I knew that BRS sold it at one time, but I no longer see it on there. Please let me know. Thank you. :rollface:

Frick-n-Frags

maybe fabricate some out of plastic screening, plastic rebar and styrocrete or aragocrete etc

a little bag of cement makes for a lot of fun actually. throw everything in it but the kitchen sink(unless it is plastic, then chop that up and throw it in too :D)

youcan sandcast big flat plates, and the cast side looks like whatever it picked up from the cast material, which could be even small rubble w/e. it is cheap enough to try all kinds of stuff until you are liking the results.

edit: styrocrete = styrene-crete, NOT styrofoam-crete, better make that distinction. i dont think i want styrofoam in the water. i'm thinking like modelling sprues etc

vikubz

You might check your local gardening or landscape stores and see if they have those flat 'flagstones' or whatever they're called. I know you can get some that are limestone which would be okay in your tank, and you could use a hammer to break them up if needed.

surge19us

You could try calling BRS or emailing to see if they are going to get more eco shelf rock in. My LFS sells live shelf rock in a variety of sizes.

linnyesg

Try being creative with your existing rock. A chisle, hammer, hard plastic air line, super glue gel and some aquamend.

Frick-n-Frags

IDK what's wrong with styrofoam in a reeftank. so i err to the side of safety.

IDK what the base plastic is and IDK what chemical is used to "blow it up", so i'm skeered of it. that's why i said "I think, i dont want that" heh.

...could be needless apprehension on my part for sure.

and hello, slightly south of me neighbor in dreaded medina county. :) enjoy the fragfest at the meeting ;) sounds awesome.

lin0501

I think both BRS and Marco Rocks still carry shelf rock. You just have to specify to them the pieces you are looking for.

gjk

I have some really big pieces that could be cut or broken or used whole. I got mine from Marco Rocks. He was nice enough to hand pick and special deliver to me. They are in my 300 which will be part of a bigger system in near future and the shelfs are coming out. I like the look and they are really nice to place your corals, but I find them labor intensive to keep clean. Maybe you already have a plan to will direct alot of flow at yours to avoid this. The waste REALLY collects on these shelfs. When I pull them out I will contact you if you like?