Where do you buy your bulk calcium chloride/soda ash/manesium from?

Flame_Angel

Ready For Business
Looking to get this stuff in pharmaceutical grade in large amounts, but most of the search results I've gotten back have been for overseas with minimum orders in the tons.

I'm looking for larger amounts than what they sell. If I recall correctly, their biggest container is a 5g bucket.

Look you can buy it for half the price at homedepot, has the calcium chloride and the baking soda, Walgreens,dwaneread has the Epsom salt, total coast to make all three parts per gallon I's less then $3 bucks.

Or you can do like everyone else and,pay more for it from bulk reef supply's or if you want the best money can buy would be ESV brand it has the complete package including stuff that you don't get from the home made 2 part.

Baking soda is a great source of food grade sodium bicarbonate, which can be turned into soda ash by baking if you like. Epsom salts are a good source of pharmaceutical grade magnesium sulfate.

As far as magnesium chloride and calcium chloride, your best bet is probably going to be BRS. You can get technical grade chemicals sold as commercial de-icers and such, but I don't do it and can't recommend doing it as the quality control required for technical grade chemicals is quite low relatively speaking and at any time a company can change their manufacturing process without notifying you, perhaps changing the impurity profile and negatively impacting your tank.

If you are looking for larger amounts why not just order multiple 5 gallon buckets? That makes a ton of 2-part, more than you'd want to make at any one time I'd imagine, and it makes for a convenient way to store them.

Local pool supply company but you'll need to have a wholesale account with them. They sell the stuff in 50lb bags and you can get all the pallets you want. It's however commercial grade. Pharmaceutical grade is much more expensive. I mix 50 gallons of BRS equivalent two part at a time in 55 gallon drums. Yes it is risky as its commercial not even food grade much less pharmaceutical grade but I've had no ill effect for over four years. My Mg supplement does come from BRS I just received 8 5 gallon buckets. I can get Mag Flake cheep but I don't need a pallet of Mg thats 40 x 50lb bags. You need to go after food grade materials.

Local pool supply company but you'll need to have a wholesale account with them. They sell the stuff in 50lb bags and you can get all the pallets you want. It's however commercial grade. Pharmaceutical grade is much more expensive. I mix 50 gallons of BRS equivalent two part at a time in 55 gallon drums. Yes it is risky as its commercial not even food grade much less pharmaceutical grade but I've had no ill effect for over four years. My Mg supplement does come from BRS I just received 8 5 gallon buckets. I can get Mag Flake cheep but I don't need a pallet of Mg thats 40 x 50lb bags. You need to go after food grade materials.

It's not pharmaceutical grade, but Dowflake and Mag Flake can be bought one 50 pound bag at a time from company's that do clay tennis court supply. I found 2 in South Florida (we don't melt snow down here :wave:). At $20-$25 per bag it's about 1/2 to 1/4 the cost of BRS. I've been using it now for 2+ years with no issues.

Look you can buy it for half the price at homedepot, has the calcium chloride and the baking soda, Walgreens,dwaneread has the Epsom salt, total coast to make all three parts per gallon I's less then $3 bucks.

Or you can do like everyone else and,pay more for it from bulk reef supply's or if you want the best money can buy would be ESV brand it has the complete package including stuff that you don't get from the home made 2 part.

What brand Calcium Chloride are you using from Home Depot? I'm assuming it has not caused any problems for you? Is it food grade? Thank you.

Back