Where do you dispose of your old tank water?

Mine goes out of the house and into a gutter drain line that dumps it into the street. At an automated rate of 4 gallons per day, I hope to turn our local watershed into a mini ocean soon! Any water that comes out in buckets ends up in the toilet.

Speaking from a wife's point of view, I am very picky about dirty fish water. My husband pours it down the toilet and then I disinfect with a toilet bowl cleaner. I make sure the disinfectant has clorox in it. :)

Sink, toilet.. Your wife is being a bit unreasonable if she doesn't mind taking a dump in the toilet but won't let you throw water down it..? It's a toilet..

I dump mine in the shower just like you do. Couldn't be any worse than the body oils and salts, and the not to mentions too from when we bathe. I think a bigger concern here is the effect on the environment. In a major metropolitan area like Socal, our sewage ends up in a treatment plant. So, drain is okay. Septic areas, maybe not so good. Dumping outside in a rural area is probably just a personal concern. But in Metro Socal, cities and counties are citing for improper runoff.

Besides, if my wife made me stop dumping in the shower then that would mean she would have to stop giving the dog a bath in the kitchen sink. ;)

And I've got to say, I'd never use the toilet. That sounds like the worst place just for logistic reasons unless you're barely changing much water at all.

Auto drain system, right into sewer......... but have used toilet and shower before.........no harm in doing that.......

I used to worry about dumping salt water down the drain into my septic system, but I have been told that the amounts we dump are insignificant. I guess a water softener releases a lot more salt into a septic system with no ill effects.

The drain outside my home drains in to our lake which goes to the river and out to the ocean. I don't like that as I don't want to put anything into our delicate ecosystem. If u have a cesspool it's also not a good idea.

But the toilet water is treated like toxic waste.

Dude lugging a 5g jug 3x down the stairs after hauling them up sounds like a pain in the... Convince her the poo is in the skimmer collection cup and just take that down stairs to rinse. Or if she's a real stickler measure on you tank how low the water gets when you do a change then next time get a long hose and drain it out a window. A little sw every couple weeks won't kill the yard. Just a guess you probably have sprinklers to wash with fresh water daily anyways

Continuous water change with peristaltic pump. I have a line plumbed right into the kitchen drain line.

Back