Where do you dispose of your old tank water?

msmith619

I ask this question because it causes a lot if dissension between myself and my wife and out of respect, I want to dispose of the waste water in a responsible way.

I have a 120 gallon reef tank with a 40 gallon refugium. I usually replace 15 gallons every 2 weeks, three 5 gallon jugs. My home is a two story with the 'master suite' on the second floor. There is also a loft between the bedroom and the staircase down. This is my 'office' and where the 120 gallon tank is situated.

I have been taking the 5 gallon jugs to our shower and pouring them down the drain. This freaks her out. She feels I am making our bedroom filthy with fish sh*t and pee. Now, I personally don't feel this water is that dirty but, it is a HUGE issue to her. I want to be respectful and sensitive to her feelings.

I have offered to take the 5 gallon jugs downstairs to the kitchen sink, the guest bedroom, use the toilet, etc. All with similar feelings from her of disgust at having fish waste in her home. She would prefer the waste water be taken outside of the home. I don't think I can dump them outside without leaving a salt residue all over the ground and making the area unfit for any plant growth so:

I ask, what do you guys do with your old aquarium water when doing water changes.
I am looking for creative ideas.

Hmm... hard to imagine the thought of fish poo being worse than human poo.
The salt will build up eventually where you dump it. You don't have a street drain anywhere near you, do you? (check local laws before considering using it if you do. The closest one to me drains to the river, so I would never do that.)

If it really is a huge issue, you could likely run you a line directly to your sewer/septic...outside the house, and capped when not in use.

Mine goes down the garage sink which is all PVC so I don't have to worry about rust. But usually the mesh that covers your shower drain is metal so that may eventually start rusting if continued to do so.

I pour it in the driveway to kill the weeds. It doesn't work as well as I'd like. Oh, and what ever you do, don't get a puppy!

Hmm... hard to imagine the thought of fish poo being worse than human poo.
The salt will build up eventually where you dump it. You don't have a street drain anywhere near you, do you? (check local laws before considering using it if you do. The closest one to me drains to the river, so I would never do that.)

If it really is a huge issue, you could likely run you a line directly to your sewer/septic...outside the house, and capped when not in use.

Actually, there is a street drain at the end of the driveway. I will give that a shot
Alyhough, I like the water balloon idea.... A LOT!

The skimate goes down the sink but, then I comet it for her.

Back