Where Do You Keep Your PH Probe

PatMayo

I have been keeping the PH probe in the main tank. I have an unbelievable growth of coralline in the tank and the plastic part of the probe is covered in it. I clean the bulb regularly and it does not appear to be on the bulb.

However I seem to have to calibrate the probe every couple of weeks or so. It is a PinPoint brand. Could the fact that it is in the main tank rather then the sump be causing this or is it normal to have to calibrate the probe that often?

The probe is only about 4 months old.

For those of you that have a PH monitor where do you keep the probe, sump or main tank?

Regards,

Pat

I keep mine in the sump. I'm not sure what brand my probe is -- it came with my AquaController. It holds its calibration much longer than two weeks, though. My guess is micoscopic particles are clogging up your glass part. That's just a guess, though...

Jack

salutation's Pat, i keep mine in the sump, no problems as of yet and i have had mine for about six months. it will be more stable in your sump because there isnt alot of buildup from the calcium in the sump for the corraline to get all over the bulb from the lighting and everything else thats free floating in the display to have any negative effect on your calibration readings to the effect of re-calibrating it on a weekly basis, try it in the sump and see how this goes. it will definately stay more stable down there, hope this help's....

i keep one in the sump in the first chamber (that is where the tank water drains), and the other in my calcium reactor

I don't keep my pH probe in the return section of my sump because the water level in that section varies. Once I get an osmolator that will no longer be the case, but in any event, water in the mid section of my sump stays at a constant level and this is where I keep my probe.

Jack

Hey Pat,

I keep my pinpoint probe in the return part of the sump. So far so good. The tank has started to grow coraline in the main display but not in the sump. The water level in the return part varies, but so far that has not been a problem.

Thanks John, Jack, Kasper, smoknreefrs, ChAoTiCrEeFeR4U.

I ordered a new probe tonight. I think I am gong to make the move to the sump. The doggone coralline is taking over. But that's ok.

Thanks for the advice. Updates in a couple of months.

Regards,

Pat

Back