Where oh where to drill?

ToolmanRR

Premium Member
I have a new 75 gall tank that's 48" x 18" x 21" in size. I want to drill holes in it to plumb to a sump/fuge underneath then return back to the DT. I don't feel comfortable drilling the bottom because I don't want to come home one day and find the bottom of my tank gave way and now I have a flood and a bunch of dead creatures. I want to drill in the rear of the tank, but my question is "where is the best or most efficient locations to drill. (example: top, bottom, middle,etc) I will be getting one or two acrylic (or Plexiglas) overflows for the rear.

1) What have you all found that works the best as far as where to drill and how big the holes should be?
2) Should I drill in two locations and have two overflows/returns?

I drilled my tank in the back about 6 inches from the top. That gives you just enough room for a stand pipe and plenty of material all around the hole.

i am using the glass-holes.com overflow box & drilled it in the location the hole in the box lined up w/ the box mounted as high as possible.

have you considered doing the returns over the top?? after reading alot of post & seeing pics, i decided that was the way to go so not to have to drill addl holes, use addl unions/ball valves & be easier to take off & change/service later on if needed.

i'm also doing a closed loop that both the intake & returns are over the top

check my build thread to see mine. i think middle/end of page 3 or so is where that part starts

My refugium sits above my aquarium no drilling. It does have its short coming. One is hiding it, limited in the size it can be; mine is small. Great if it sits in a room behind the display. My DIY skimmer sits directly over a portion of the display and is fed by a aquaclear 800 powerhead.
However if you have the room and able to hide it its very efficient as gravity does a great job getting the water back to the display.
I considered drilling my next reef tank so i can have a bigger sump and refugium. You have more options if its drilled.
Imo the hole should be drilled a few inches from the top; that where i would prefer

75 with a drilled overflow. standard 75's have tempered bottoms so you cant drill there.

brenttank2722.jpg

Another reason i like the hole near the top is if something goes wrong (like leak) from overflow it don't drain the entire display.

I have a 110 tall ..it had 4 holes in the back near the top...i am doing a coast to coast wier that drains through the holes and will build an external box attached to the back(outside) of the tank, so i will have plenty of room for beananimals silent and failsafe setup..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14843991#post14843991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sgolden
I have a 110 tall ..it had 4 holes in the back near the top...i am doing a coast to coast wier that drains through the holes and will build an external box attached to the back(outside) of the tank, so i will have plenty of room for beananimals silent and failsafe setup..

That is an interesting idea and I would love to see it.
Do you hae any pictures or drawings?

ToolmanRR

Back