where to buy frag racks ?

rastalove

I'm looking to buy frag racks for my 40 gallon breeder and I want to know if you guys buy these locally? Does Lowes or HD carry these racks that you guys use to place frags on ? Thanks

You could make them with some egg crate and zip ties, both of which are available at Home Depot. I can't find egg crate at my local Lowe's or on their website. Here is a link to the egg crate at Home Depot.

Marine Depot carries frag racks, but I couldn't begin to tell you which option is better.

My HD and Lowes have eggcrate, but if you ask for it they will look at you funny. Generally it is either in the lighting section or the drop ceiling section. It comes in, I think, sheets of 2'x4' and is 13ish dollars a sheet.

I bought black egg crate from Bulk Reef Supply. I made a frag rack with multiple levels for my Quarantine tank. This way I have the ability to move the frags up if they need more light before they go into my tank. Just built it last night :)

FragQT.jpg

I bought black egg crate from Bulk Reef Supply. I made a frag rack with multiple levels for my Quarantine tank. This way I have the ability to move the frags up if they need more light before they go into my tank. Just built it last night :)

FragQT.jpg
Cool idea! Nicely done.

Is that just zipped tied together? Is it stable? I've only found one adhesive that bonds this stuff without being a mess and requiring a long clamp time, but I have no idea if it's safe to use for this application.

Yep the tiny zip ties, two on each side of the step pieces. It was pretty sturdy, but i added the piece across the back as well. But i thought leaving the front of the stairs open would allow flow through it better..

Just find an easier way to cut/break the egg crate because it can become frustrating. I broke a few pieces and luckily not to many. As you can see on the left side of the 2nd stair.

I am thinking of making a fragg tank and doing a double stair aspect like this with a point in the center and lower on both sides. This will go the full depth of the tank.

I use Silicone to bond it. The same one we use in the tank.

I am thinking of making a fragg tank and doing a double stair aspect like this with a point in the center and lower on both sides. This will go the full depth of the tank.

I use Silicone to bond it. The same one we use in the tank.

I've found that to be a pain as it requires he structure to be stable and undisturbed for a long period of time. That's not usually possible in my house.

I've had success with a Loktite super glue that requires a smear from an activator marker before applying the glue. Works really well, but I don't know it its safe for marine use. I've used it in the past on dart frog vivs with no problems.

But I digress. If zip ties work, they seem to be the easiest and safest way to go.

Just fyi, it will be in the lighting section by the longer industrial lighting. If you ask a HD employee where the egg crate is, they may look at you like you are crazy =). That's what happened the first time I asked someone at HD where the egg crate was at least, lol.

Go to the light covers section. They all know where that is.

It is one of the other types. Some even have the mirror type, but I would not get it for this use. Get nothing that is coated/painted as it will/might flake when you go to pull something off of it.

Just fyi, it will be in the lighting section by the longer industrial lighting. If you ask a HD employee where the egg crate is, they may look at you like you are crazy =). That's what happened the first time I asked someone at HD where the egg crate was at least, lol.

"I'm looking for egg crate. You know, the diffusers that was on all the flourescent lighting in the 80's."

Use that line and the employee will immediately know what you are talking about. HD sells the sheets individually.

Back