Where to find feeders?

rlf_racing

I am searching for feeder crabs, shrimp, and fish for my tank. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could go to get any. My lfs only carry freshwater ghost shrimp and goldfish. I don't mind the shrimp but I wont use goldfish for food. So any help would be great.

Rob

I need live saltwater feeder shrimp for the stonefish. He wont eat silversides, krill, or even adult mysis shrimp. Ive tried frozen foods and he wont even look at them. Ive had him now for a month and he will only eat live. Maybe when he gets larger he will take frozen. So does anyone know of any place that carries saltwater feeders?

My stonefish is only 3.5" long. I feed him freshwater ghost shrimp yesterday and he ate somewhere between 8-10 shrimp. Hard to tell how many since he is lightning fast when he sucks in the shrimp. I will check out that site to see what they have available.

What does gut load mean? The ghost shrimp sold by me are sold in freshwater. How would I be able to acclimate them for saltwater?

Gut load is to feed high nutritional foods which will be consumed through eating the feeder.

As for acclimating them, just get a tank with feshwater and fill it with the ghost shrimp.....slowly add salt to increase the salinity. If I'm not mistaken ghost shrimp are brackish that can acclimate either way.

Also I am looking for any nonreef safe inverts for my tank. Does anyone know were I could get any crabs, shrimp, and possibly any other nonreef safe inverts?

I am looking for any nonreef safe inverts for my tank. Does anyone know were I could get any crabs, shrimp, and possibly any other nonreef safe inverts?

You can get cheap crabs at reef janitors. Otherwise I would be willing to ship out green crabs to you. I live in Portsmouth NH and we have tons of green crabs all sizes. During the summer that is what I feed my snowflake eel. He goes crazy for them. When I had a cuttlefish (which I don't recommend getting one) he used to eat those with gusto.

Just PM if you want more info from me.

Mike

You might check with a local club or post in the wanted forums that you are looking for generally unwanted specimens. If you lived closer to the water it'd probably be much easier to get what you need.

What about fiddler crabs? they need land to survive but since they're being used as food. I think sometimes petsmart sells them?

Believe me I wish I lived close to an ocean. I would never need to pay for a cuc in my tank again. And I could get some very cool looking inverts. Boomsticks what are green crabs? Do you have pics of them? Chrisstie do you think it would be safe to post in the local reef club forums here on RC since I don't belong to any of them? Fiddlers are cool but I am not using the crabs for feeders. Stone fish wont eat the crabs that I put in the tank since he is so small. And by the time he gets large enough to eat them, the crabs will be in their own tank. Which would be in the next year or two. Also is there any non reef safe shrimp out there besides mantis shrimp and harliquin shrimp?

Lots of non reefsafe shrimp, keep an eye on the invert section of Live Aquaria, there are almost always some...

Also check out reefscavengers.com for the little crabs and such...

Back