Where to get hydrogen peroxide(s)

ichthyogeek

I'm looking for something to clean my filter socks with. From a previous experiment/discussion I saw here, hydrogen peroxide was shown to dissolve the most organic material in the experiment (in this case, algae). Oxi-clean has something that decomposes into sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide when exposed to water. However, is oxi-clean the product actually safe? Liquid h20o2 is kind of expensive when compared to the dry form, so I'd prefer to get solid h2o2 if possible. Where can I get solid h2o2, and what brands do you use (pictures if possible)?

Technically speaking, there's no such thing as solid hydrogen peroxide, the compound is a liquid at room temperature, even in a highly concentrated (and highly dangerous) form. I think what you're looking for is sodium percarbonate, which decomposes is aqueous solution to form sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide.

Sodium percarbonate is commonly used in brewery applications for tank sterilization, and can be obtained from many sources. A google shopping search reveals one supplier on Etsy named "ProSupplyOutlet", which lists 5 lbs of sodium percarbonate for $15.

Keep in mind when using this material that if dissolved in sufficient concentration, one can make a solution that will be quite hazardous to one's skin and eyes. I would suggest black janitor's gloves and proper eye protection when preparing your solution.

I've used oxi-clean occasionally when I wash my filter socks. But I also do a double rinse cycle as I'm washing anywhere from 25 to 40 socks at one time and the first rinse isn't as clear and clean as I would like it. But I've had no bad reactions in either of my systems.

I read that a local hydroponic supply store sells 'bulk' H2O2 but I haven't been there yet.

I've used oxi-clean occasionally when I wash my filter socks. But I also do a double rinse cycle as I'm washing anywhere from 25 to 40 socks at one time and the first rinse isn't as clear and clean as I would like it. But I've had no bad reactions in either of my systems.

I read that a local hydroponic supply store sells 'bulk' H2O2 but I haven't been there yet.

thanks for the info i'm going to order some today for my socks

I don't use that many socks, so would just sticking a sock in a bucket with oxi-clean work? Possibly an air pump as well to circulate water?

They don't need to get that clean. I just rinse the crud out of mine and set aside where I can't smell them, then soak in diluted bleach overnight when they are all dirty. In my laundry experience oxy clean is very harsh on fabrics. I used to use it on chef coats and they would just fall apart after a few months. It might depend on whether you are using felt or mesh socks too.

Back