Where to get sump baffles made?

a few things that you should keep in mind that will help.

first cut the plexi about 1/16" or so narrower than the walls of your tank. That will leave some room for plexi to expand with heat and also allow the silicone to form a seal on three edges. I read once that someone cut their plexi too wide and it pushed out the walls of the tank it was in. I have no idea if that is fish legend or truth though.

second is you might want to use a bit of sandpaper around the edges where the silicone is to be applied. This will provide more surface area for the adhesive to attach to since it won't form a chemical bond.

lastly, if you want it to look neat when you are finished use some masking or painters tape to give a nice line and prevent smearing it all over the place

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14791204#post14791204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ppurcell

first cut the plexi about 1/16" or so narrower than the walls of your tank. That will leave some room for plexi to expand with heat and also allow the silicone to form a seal on three edges. I read once that someone cut their plexi too wide and it pushed out the walls of the tank it was in. I have no idea if that is fish legend or truth though.

I've read that too. I believe plexi (and all acrylics) will absorb water to some degree. Only a small amount, but if there was no room for expansion...

Back