Where to get sump baffles made?

Wolf74

Hey everyone,

For those of you that have done your own DIY sumps where did you get your baffles made? I tried Lowe's but they said their glass is too thin for something like that. I am basically looking for 3 baffles 12x11 1/2 and another one to seperate the fuge. This one would need the teeth drilled in it. A glass place in Addison wanted $145 for these four pieces. I can't see paying that much for something like that. So can anyone point me in the right direction? Would love to get this tank up and running.

Thank you

I got mine from GDK glass & mirror in Streamwood. I got one side polished as well to make sure I don't scrape or cut myself on the tops of any baffles when working in the sump.

I don't know their info, but you can just google GDK glass streamwood....

I think it was like 45 for 4 panes with the polishing....

Instead of trying to cut teeth into glass, just cut some eggcrate to size and silicone it to the top of the glass..... I'm guessing that's what was so expensive....

You could try acrylic instead, but I don't like plastic to glass siliconing.... If you want to do that, try Streamwood Plastics in Schaumburg.....

You can get the glass cut at most home stores...they won't have polished edges but I don't worry about that...if you really worried you could use a dremel and do it yourself probably.

Eggcrate for the teeth is what I would do as well.

Re: Where to get sump baffles made?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14786243#post14786243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wolf74
... I am basically looking for 3 baffles 12x11 1/2 and another one to seperate the fuge...

Do those dimensions mean you're looking for 1/2" thick glass? That could be another reason your pricing came back so high. I think you can get by with 1/4" no problem.

I see no problem with using plexiglass. Cut it yourself and use a good thick bead of silicone to hold it in place. Cheap, easy, no fuss, no muss. Stories that it won't hold are made by people that haven't done it.

Does it have to be 1/2" glass? I've always used 1/4" plexiglass. I cut my own teeth in it with a table saw myself. Menards (window section). IME, plexiglass adheres to glass just fine with silicone. If I remember correctly, it's like $45 for a 24"x48", probably more than you need.

I don't know where you guys are getting the 1/2" thick glass idea from, to me atleast he didn't list the pane thickness, just that he wanted them 12 X 11-1/2..... As in 11.5...

Let us know what you come up with Wolf.....

On all 3 of my sumps (( 30, 20 high, & 10 )) I used acrylic baffles Silicone holds them just fine to the glass tanks. The oldest one is 6+ years and they are still in place, and don't move at all.

IMO, they are cheaper, and a heck of a lot easier to use.

u can also request used glass since it doesnt matter if tis a little scatched.....usually around $5

awesome...thanks a lot guys. Badazz I tried GDK but they close at 4 so i'll give them another call tomorrow. If price is too high i'll go with acrylic or plexi. Oh and it was 12 x 11.5 and not 1/2 inch glass.

Thank again

Will let you know what I end up with

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14786560#post14786560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ppurcell
I see no problem with using plexiglass. Cut it yourself and use a good thick bead of silicone to hold it in place. Cheap, easy, no fuss, no muss. Stories that it won't hold are made by people that haven't done it.

+1

And you can get it cut to size at Lowes.

I bought a sheet of regular window glass from ace and had them cut 8 pieces for the 4 baffles, bought a tube of aquarium silicone and made silicone sandwiches. It made four 1/4" baffles and was like $30. Used the rest of the silicone to coat the tops so they don't cut me. I'm planning on doing the same in the 40B I'm turning into a sump now for my new tank.

Give XBlade a PM he's making an overflow box for my quarenteen tank. I've seen his work and its good.

Bill

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14786560#post14786560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ppurcell

I agree. It works fine and no sharp edges. You can buy it anywhere and it's easy to cut. Wipe all surfaces with alcohol before applying silicone.

I agree, cheap and easy :)

I agree, cheap and easy :)

Back