Where to get sun corals?

dohc97

Im about to go out to some of the lfs in chicago, and really have 2 targets in mind. Im looking to get a peppermint shrimp and im looking for a sun coral. Anyone know if any store around here has a sun coral? I know where to get the shrimp, but the sun coral is something i havent seen in a store. I will be leaving in about an hour so anyone who might know?

i was in old town aquarium yesterday and I am pretty sure they had one or two colonies, but I could be wrong (they weren't opened and so I am not positive).

did you by any chance happen to see a price? old town always strikes me as overpriced, but if its reasonable i guess ill stop by. Im about to leave and will visit ocean design, hopefully reef dweller, downtown pets and old town(just to see what they have)

i didn't, sorry, wasn't interested in them. they may be expensive, but their livestock is pretty awesome ... where is downtown pets?

Its on south michigan avenue, the 1600 block. Another member told me they had cured fiji rock for a lot less than other stores so im heading there because i need a couple more pieces of live rock. Maybe ill get lucky and they might have that sun coral. well ill update later, im leaving thanks for the info.

The best deal on live rock is Coral Paradise in Arlington Heights. His rock is great looking and at a good price and more importantly it really is cured. He cures it in the basement for weeks after he gets it instead of just selling it right away. That and Jim's a nice guy ,too.

www.coralparadise.org

i saw sun coral at chicago aquatics in orland park last week, i forgot how much it was, but i beleive it wasnt too bad

Well im back from my trip, went to reef dweller turns out he is closed today, i believe he still has some stuff in there(at least it looks like it). Good news is that i got a peppermint shrimp at downtown pets for really cheap and got my sun coral at ocean design, i have no clue as to prices but i really wanted one so i payed the 90 dollars they asked. Is that overpriced?

Yeah $90 is way overpriced. But if you enjoy it why not. Usual price a LFS is 25-50 dollars for that piece.

I figured it was overpriced, but i really dont have time to go to any other shops around here. To mail one in would have cost roughly the same. I dont mind though, since i really like this one colony, someone said they probably saw one at old town but it probably was going to be the same price if not more. Besides ocean design employees have been very nice to me with all my questions and i know they dont really have to bother with someone that doesnt buy that much from them. will post a couple pics later tonight.

Be sure to feed that sun coral well!. I think they are very cool, just need to be in the hands of one who will take the time to feed. When I had mine I target feed daily and then once a week moved it into a feeding container to make sure each poylp got it's fill. Did you get a yellow/orange or a black one?

here are a couple pictures, this is just a couple hours after coming home. by the way my clownfish are a little confused, i think they are trying to host in the coral.

IMG_1661.jpg

here is a crappy macro shot:

IMG_1660.jpg

i forgot to ask, can i put this coral straight on the sand or should i keep using a random rock to perch it on? for now i really dont care where it sits in regards to the tank, but once more corals join i want to make it look presentable.

Awesome, for the size of the coral you got it's not a bad price.

Now we wait for a full tank shot....... :)

No fts until i get everything looking presentable, i still need to get more live rock and 2 powerheads, besides some corals. I promise ill show the tank in a couple weeks with everything in place.

Wow...that doesn't look like yoru typical sun coral. Usually, well the ones I've seen, the whole thing is bright yellow.
That coral you bought has an orange body, and yellow polyps.

Perhaps that's the reason it's $90?

actually the polyps are a pinkish color, tentacles are yellow and the mouth is orange/red. There is more than one type of sun coral available, even black ones. My colony is pretty big, there is easily at least 50 polyps on the rock.

forgot to mention that ocean design(where i got this one) also had the all yellow one and the cost was the same.

Back