Which Corals / etc tolerate Aiptasia's?

MadReefist

This could be fun.

This isn't a doofy noob question actually.

I'm contemplating the concept of using them as an element in a complex natural sump filtration array. A scheme involving many other potential filter feeders set to task where they might overlap. Even corals aren't off the list under this notion.

So in this hypothetical vein, but in yet broader terms of morbid curiousity, what critters might you have noted/known over the years that actually care not about its presence.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure what you are asking .....

Keeping aptasia confined to a 'filter' will prove problematic, so unless you don't care if you also have them in the display, something like xenia may be a better choice (there are folks who have run xenia filters). Other than direct stinging, I have not found the mere presence of aptasia to affect any other inverts.

I like the added suggests. Very such so.

But in the sake of maximum diversity might xenias, tube worms, mushrooms, gorgonians, green star polyps, etc be able to endure with aiptasia's? Surely everything isnt susceptible to the stings?

Things that sting harder than them, or can poison them. I've found Galaxea and Nepthea fall into that category. Favia/Favites seem to hold up pretty well too.

I have a prism favia frag that came with some aiptasia on it that I didn't see at first. It has grown some since then and doesn't show any damage or recession from the aiptasia that I can see.

I have been curious about this too, are there any other corals that can handle aiptasia? What about mushrooms?

Back