Which dims for a 300 square...

chasekwe

I'm considering the following dimensions for a 300g square tank and I'm curious what you would pick if it were one you're building and, most importantly, WHY .

All are give or take 10g within 300g.

48"x48"x30" (299)

54"x54"x24" (303)

60"x60"x20" (311)

Tank will be 3 side viewable and will have eurobrace (not rimless) with an HOB overflow. Idea is for an SPS full reef tank, obviously lighting choices are variable but MH w/T5 suppliments or potentially full T5 ala ATI Powermodule(s).

I'm currently learning towards the 54"x54"x24" mainly because it's a happy medium but my biggest tank prior to this was 90g and I just can't decide. I'd like to have more of a reason than "because it's the happy medium".

Thanks folks!

if those were my only choices, id do the 54" as well.

Either way your going to use about the same lighting and filtration so why not go with the 60x60 footprint but to it 24" tall? 20" is on tall enough.

plus 60x60 you can still get away with 4 halides with some t5s in between.

I would also go for the 54x54x24.

24" is a perfect depth to work on your tank, maintenance, aquascaping, etc.

For me, 20" would be too shallow, and unless you have Shaq-length arms, 30" is too deep.

JMHO

LL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15045475#post15045475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EnderG60
if those were my only choices, id do the 54" as well.

Either way your going to use about the same lighting and filtration so why not go with the 60x60 footprint but to it 24" tall? 20" is on tall enough.

plus 60x60 you can still get away with 4 halides with some t5s in between.

haha you are the Devil! Why not just 60x60x30... that's a nice round number too LOL! At some point I gotta say enough is enough and not go bigger. I've already talked myself up from 240 to get to 300 in the first place.

HOB meaning built into the back, I'm not sure the proper term... as in, the overflow is built out the back of the tank instead of inside it taking up display real estate.

I would go with the 60x60x20. I'm panning a cube as well and probably going with 48x48x20. I now have a 30" tall tank and it's really nice but hard to aquaspace or maintain. I'm 6' and I can reach the bottom of the tank but I still dont like it, maybe if it was a 600 gallons but personally I like shallow reef with a great footprint to create open aquaspace

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15046083#post15046083 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chasekwe
haha you are the Devil! Why not just 60x60x30... that's a nice round number too LOL! At some point I gotta say enough is enough and not go bigger. I've already talked myself up from 240 to get to 300 in the first place.

not the first time ive been called the devil :)

hey I wanted a 120, and then decided it should be a 180....I ended up getting a marineland 300...soooo....

Out of those I'd do the 54x54x24 as I like the 24" view. A 20" tank is a tease IMO. But, as several have said 60x60x24 is better!

Your thinking of an external overflow, and that's the way to go with a cost to coast wier inside if you can.

Good luck!

54x54x24 of the options you listed. You will not miss the 6" from left to right and front to back, as you would the 4" height.

(Personally, Id go with something longer, but still deep front to back and go 72x40x24, which is about 300g)

I agree with Joe - based on the choices, 54x54x24 will look the better.

However, in saying that I also agree with Bax that 60x60x24 will be the best as equipment/ space wise it will be the same

:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15049884#post15049884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ed Reef
I agree with Joe - based on the choices, 54x54x24 will look the better.

However, in saying that I also agree with Bax that 60x60x24 will be the best as equipment/ space wise it will be the same

:lol:

Hmm 24" over 20" coming from the Mr. Shallow Display, intriguing!

I like the deeper tanks myself 48/48/30 and then put a center overflow (very center of tank) in aquascaping to keep the visible clutter and equipment to a minimum..

Deeper tank is a bit of a hassle for working on but I think the looks are worth it.. (my current is 31" deep)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15052682#post15052682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chasekwe
Hmm 24" over 20" coming from the Mr. Shallow Display, intriguing!

Based on a cube dimension, I honestly think a 24" will look better artistically

but if it was not cube.... NOW that's a different matter :lol:

Any pics Nanook? How many sides do you have full access to and how is the maintenance?

Do you think you could light it with full T5s if you wanted to, or do you already?

Thanks.

I have open access and viewing to three sides. I have it lit with four MH bulbs and four VHO bulbs in a canopy that moves so I can access the tank from any point. I will scratch up a few pics. Working in the middle of the tank is tough, but I am 6ft5in tall and have monkey arms, so I can reach just about everywhere with a stepstool.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15055304#post15055304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ed Reef
Based on a cube dimension, I honestly think a 24" will look better artistically

but if it was not cube.... NOW that's a different matter :lol:

Thing I'm most interested to see is how the more notorious carpet surfer type fish do. If moonlights are enough to keep them at home that'd be really interesting to know.

Your build thread is my very favorite on here and what I'll most closely be following is what concessions have to be made with such a shallow uncovered tank and whether or not you still like the dimensions a year from now.

Back