10 x chromis
2 x true perc
1 x blue tang
1 x powder blue
1 x powder brown

in my 3 x 2 x 2 feet tank

understand that i should intro the least aggressive fish first
thanks

Im coming up with a 90 gallon tank is that right? I dont think three tangs will work especially such big ones. Also Ive heard chromis will eventually kill each other off its happened twice in my tank so now I only have one but I think many people keep them successfully.

Choose one of the three tangs. Personally I wouldn't do any of those three in a 3 foot tank, but if you must have a tang, choose a ctenochaetus or zebrasoma tang.

Agree with both of the above. I would not waste the space with clownfish either; when mature they become aggressive.

my skimmer is Reef Octopus DNW 200

am i overstocking?
what fish do you suggest if i remove the tangs?

thanks

Anthias, cardinals, wrasses, pseudochromis, dwarf angel, hawkfish, firefish... pretty much the stuff that wasn't on your list. :) (I don't mean all of those together. Wrasses and firefish generally don't work well together.)

You got some good advice from everyone about what to add and what to avoid. I generally agree with Steve (snorvich), but I love clownfish. He's right about the overstocking part though on your original list.

keep 1 of those tangs, only go 7 chromis, maybe 1 clown, 1 lawnmower blenny, and a 6 line later on!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14166209#post14166209 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
instead of the tangs I would look into a dwarf angel and a flasher/fairy wrasse.

I agree with this. Most tangs would be fairly miserable in a 3ft tank, and the dwarf angels/wrasses are very good substitutes color and activity-wise. I would consider scaling back by 3-4 chromis. 10 just seems like alot. But then they don't produce a ton of waste... But cumulatively.. I am torn lol.

To answer the original question; Chromis first. They are hardy and even when established wont pick on anything. Except each other.

decide to change to

8 x chromis
2 x true perc
1 x blue tang
1 x yellow tang

is this combination better?

thanks

Better put probably you will be less than happy. Get more experience, do more reading, then think about fish.

Back