Which is the best SPS to get?

Sub-Mariner13

I'm considering getting several frags @reefermadness.com and I'm looking for recommendations? What do people think is the best stuff to get?

Ummm ya. Personal preference. And whichever you can keep in your system. And preferably no wild colonies if you havent done them yet. Stick to the easy stuff.

Look into trying some of the hardier species like montipora and stags. Definitely buy aquaculture fish/inverts/corals whenever possible.

if your looking on reefer madness, they are all nice specimens, just pick out the colors you think are perty, and have them sent, follow the suggestions above for the easier starter corals.

all of them, collect them all, every one, that means you need lots of reef tanks, start with one and keep going, dont stop, go with your dreams, get lots of money first,lol.

I have ordered frag packs from RM 3 times in the past and was glad with the colorful assortments they send. However, they send you wild colony frags that are freshly cut. While I have had good success with many frags, the loss is greater. I recently tried Dr. Mac's and received a less colorful assortment (mostly tan,pink,brownish). The good thing is that the frags are noticeably encrusting, ie, not freshly cut. They are now starting to color up under my 250W. The loss is much less with their frags. I would order from either again. I would probably go with Dr. Macs if I were you, just to get a feel for SPS care. The loss from RM frags may be discouraging for a newbie (even for me). Just my .02

What is your tank setup ( Lighting, Flow, Etc.)? That can help us with recomending corals for your tank.

If you're just starting out then purchasing a frag pack from RM is a good idea. You will get more than a few that you will like.

NC28 w/150W hqi is my set-up. Just cycling and battling algae but can't wait to get some great frags. I'm would pick up from Reefer Madness, hoping that cuts down on losses.

What about Live Aquaria? I feel that their customer service, fish, etc is the best by far. Plus they offer you 14 day and up to 30 day guarantee on some corals. JMO. I have never ordered from the other places so I cannot say. I'd try some Montipora Caps, Pocci, Digi, or Millepora. My first was a Monti Cap, then a Pocci. HTH

Upscales fish and reptiles. I have frags from them for 2 yrs now and they are great. They are tank raised and cheap for what you get. The orange digi is a sps keepers must and super strong. I also have frags from reefermadness and they are interesting, they are from wild broken colonies, I think. They with time can be very nice. This store is also the originator of the Oregon Tort, another must for sps'ers.

IMHO if your tank is still cycling, don't even think about putting any SPS into your tank for at least a couple of months. Above all else (lighting, flow, etc.) stability of your water parameters is paramount to keeping SPS corals.

You want NO algae problems before adding SPS. Also what is your flow in your tank?

When you do add some I'd go for monti caps or digitatas.

I have ordered frags from phishybusiness.com and have been really satisfied...they are much bigger than most frags you'll get, more like mini-colonies (2-2.5").

Back