Which LED's should I buy after my MH crapped out

LGB76

So my MH lights do not work that came with my tank. Bought brand new bulbs and everything for it...

Anyways. Looking to just buy some LED lights and get it over with. I have a 120 gallon tank. Looking to keep some softies and lps. Will also be supplemented with let t5 retrofit.

What type of LEDs and how many will I need. Looking to buy this week

I have 2 Kessil A350s over my 120g. 3 would be ideal, but 2 work. If you got the A360w models, 2 would cover just fine, but I think you might be left wanting for penetration. 3 of the standard A360s would be best, IMO. I thought mine looked best when supplemented with some T5 lighting, but it's not necessary. The extra bulbs cleared out the harsh shadows caused by all LED lighting and helped make the color better than any LED unit I've seen working alone. Coral growth is just fine under the Kessils. The T5s were for aesthetics only. I've seen most of the top tier LED lights on various store tanks and DIY Dream Chip setups are the only thing I've found better looking than Kessils. All options have grown what was in the tank just fine, based on what the owners said.

So, what's best? Any of the top tier producers are best, followed by the more budget conscious producers. Some have slightly different looks, but they all work. Radions are similar to Kessils, when best tuned for color, IME. Hydras are well behind both of those as far as overall color goes. Rapid LED Onyx fixtures have nice color but the spacing of the LEDs creates a pretty strong disco effect. I noticed that with everything but the Kessils, but it's stronger in the Onyx lights than the others I mentioned. Try to see as many as you can in person and then describe what you liked/didn't like and post that with your questions here. It will help people with a lot of experience with several lights to point you in the right direction. Also, mounting should be considered. The Kessils are a little more difficult than the others, but they aren't bad.

***Edit, just say your last post****
If you want to stay with MH, you might as well. LEDs aren't better, they're just different. I prefer MH over LEDs, but went with my Kessils because they were cheaper than buying the MH setup I wanted. They are also cheaper to own and operate over the years, so I decided to give them a try. To me, nothing beats Radiums and VHO actinics, but my Kessils and the Dream Chip retros are close to as nice. They aren't the same, just close to as nice.

Only reason I don't want MH is because of the god awful heat it puts off and having to change the bulbs quite a bit. LED's seem to be more user friendly and cheaper in the long run.

My biggest concern is being able to keep a rbta, in love with them.

I just have a really bad taste in my mouth over MH right now and LEDs seem to be the way to go.

I just read for about 30 minutes over the photon 48. Seems like a solid light. Whatever I use, it will be supplemented with 2 t5 bulbs.

How long is your 120g tank?

If it's 6' I'd recommend 2 IT2080 or IT2081 from EverGrow (the manufacturer) and sold by OceanRevive and ReefBreeders (both sponsors here).

I have 2 over my 180g mixed reef that have worked perfectly for over 30 months now. And YES, there will be enough light for your RBTA and clams and any sps corals. BTW, I switched from 1000w of MH and 160w of t5 to these leds and I'd NEVER consider going back.

I'm running 6 Radions over a 300DD and have had no issues with my RBTA.
In all honesty, I think I could get away with fewer lighting units, I run these at 45%, but it's nice to have "extra" juice.
Having said all of that, they are expensive but run VERY cool (it's dang hot here on the coast of GA too)

For an affordable LED (in reefin' dollars), Reef Breeders are hard to beat. The difference between RB and higher end LED's are the mostly unused bells and whistles, the form factor and overhead that comes with larger companies. Hint...if you think you need one then get two, if you think you need two then get three, if you think you need three then get four....get the idea? :)

Mark

p.s. I own ridiculously overpriced LED's

with the kessils, you dont get dawn/dusk look, or moon lights right? as with reefbreeder photon48 you do?

how many reefbreeder photon 48 would I need for this tank?

One plus the pair of t5's you mentioned will do fine. The add one rule mentioned above was for the pendant style.

If you go for a pair of the 48's do not bother with the t5's, you will have more than enough coverage. (and start them really low)

Back