which M.H is best?

jbonez

SALT LIFE
hey reefers, im was in need of some new 150 watt m.h de bulbs i currently have those ebay cheapos plusrite 20k i know its not letting out a true 20k output. which 20k bulb will produce a nice purple color (hue).
also post some pics of your tank with the kelvin and brand of bulb your using tanks all.:beer:

Last edited:
I don't have a pic, but the Ushio bulbs are nice. AI've also used to Phoenix 14K, it's a bit more on the blue side than most 14K bulbs.

I was in the market for new MH bulbs recently. Unfortunately, there is a lot of variability in color despite the same K numbers. My original 14K's were more on the white side, which blended nicely with my actinic T5's. I bought Hamilton 150 watt 14K MH DE bulbs to replace them. I find these 14K's too blue/purple for my liking. And I bought 3 of them! So, Im buying another set of 3, these will be 10K's. On the other hand, you said you liked the purple hue of the 20K, so you may like these purplish 14K Hamiltons.

IMG_1135s.jpg

i have 2x 130watt 460/420nm pc bulbs on the way has anyone used these will they help the m.h give that purple/blue look

Phoenix 14ks are the nicest looking lamps IMO and anything more "blue" than these looks stupid IMO

it look ok i would like to see the whole tank lit up but you think with the pc bulbs i have coming will give me the color i want with those 14k hamilton or the 14k phoenix

Oh yeah, if you are going to supplement with actinic PC bulbs, I think that either the Hamilton or the Phoenix 14K will look great with that combination, you'll also get faster growth than just using all 20K lighting. I used to have a 14K generic 250W MH w/ 2 actinic PCs and it was a nice bluish purple but without the color wash you get when you only use 20K or 420-460nm bulbs (no pics, it was long ago :)).

Back