Which phtyoplankton?

coolrunnings

Which commercial live phytoplankton are you feeding your clams. I really liked DT's but I cant find any of the phtyoplanktons on the market these days.

moliken

none. issue has been settled. feeding is not needed. you have fish in the tank, that;s it. light is what drives clams'internal algae.

moliken

how have u been feeding it? how does it react? but the answer is still don't feed clams of any size if you have fish in the tank and enough light. simple

greenhead

Was told by lfs and a few others who keep clams that I should feed the little guy. I trust this guy. Has been raising clams for 30 plus years. I just discharge phytoplankton (phyto feast) up current from the clam. About 1 inch away. You can actually see a response in his mantles. Appears he is absorbing it...

greenhead

Note, I have a young tank and very low nutrients. Ran the tank for 6 weeks with only a goby and some coral after an initial outbreak of velvet in the system at 1 month old right after my tank finished up its initial cycle. Now all the new guy have been in qt. The nutrients should build now that there are some inhabitants. I figure hell at least the coral will enjoy the phyto.

moliken

Was told by lfs and a few others who keep clams that I should feed the little guy. I trust this guy. Has been raising clams for 30 plus years. I just discharge phytoplankton (phyto feast) up current from the clam. About 1 inch away. You can actually see a response in his mantles. Appears he is absorbing it...

your observation has answered the issue. your conclusion is just incorrect. the clam is not absorbing it, the clam is trying to get RID of it. never in its evolutionary history would a clam ever have that much food that close to it, so it's not sensible for it to want to feed like that. they get food by their algae.

moliken

it is the intake siphon, which pulls in water. to get oxygen over its gills, just like a human mouth feds air to lungs. your clam is sneezing, just as you would if you inhaled some kinda irritant. from the extremely diluted water--as compared to your spot feeding-- it gets minor nutrition. i don't remember the percent compared to wht% it gets from light

AquaTDV

Most people don't keep clams for very long. That is more than a couple decades... So its hard to speak about the long term health benefits from feeding or not. However what we do know is that they do feed, and in the ocean they have an almost unlimited supply of food to consume. What we do not know is how "not feeding the right sized/type of food" will effect the long term health of certain clam species in the aquaria. The science is pretty conclusive that for larger tridacnae species their nutritional needs can be met with a limited supply of particulate organic carbon. With the primary source of energy coming from proper lighting. IHMO it is arrogant to assume that we truly know the totality of needs of these creatures, when the ocean has provided them with a virtually unlimited supply of resources at their disposal for millions of years. Perhaps these animals rely on food sources differently at different stages of life? Perhaps a healthy diversity of food as a juvenile can translate to healthier existence when they reach sexual maturity? I've read studies as recent as 2010 that show that when certain species like Maxima, not only consume phyto, they will show a preference to certain types of algae over others.