which skimmer

troylong45

i have 75 gallon display tank and 30 gallon sump no sponge filters just live rock, sand, macro alage, and carbon and looking to add skimmer i have two clowns, hippo tang, yellow watchman goby with tiger pistol shrimp, 2 small damsels, hand full of hermit crabs and snails, and 2 head of hammer coral ,1 small mushroom, and 3 head of Duncan

Eshopps Aquarium In-Sump Protein Skimmer model PSK-200 rated for 150-200 gallons
$(KGrHqZ,!igFEE(ed1IjBRDCrpN1ug~~60_12.JPG

or

6" OCTOPUS CORALVUE NWB-150 rated for 150 gallons
$T2eC16J,!wsE9suw)zTsBQgtfumck!~~60_3.JPG

they are both 230 ish on ebay and thats about the most my wife will let me spend or if there is some other skimmer out there for me around my range

Right now until the 18th the aquamaxx cone2 is on sale at marine depot for $250. It'll run circles around both of those skimmers. It'll also be good for an upgrade to a 150 gallon tank if you ever decide to go bigger ( and you will most likely). Real deal skimmer and not entry level like those.

Right now until the 18th the aquamaxx cone2 is on sale at marine depot for $250. It'll run circles around both of those skimmers. It'll also be good for an upgrade to a 150 gallon tank if you ever decide to go bigger ( and you will most likely). Real deal skimmer and not entry level like those.

that one does look nice but i get the money just atfer the begining of the year hope it will be on sell again then looks great at least this thread will be here even then so i can look it back up thanks for the find

I would just keep reading and doing research. In another 2 months there might be another new skimmer out there that fits the bill better then what you originally looked ator even the aquamaxx. Of those listed year I am sure the cone 2 would be the way to go.

You do kinda get what you pay for. Getting something cheap you will do what many people on this site do.... In another year or two they want to upgrade their skimmer..... Vs just paying a little but more and getting the correct skimmer the first time.

I would just keep reading and doing research. In another 2 months there might be another new skimmer out there that fits the bill better then what you originally looked ator even the aquamaxx. Of those listed year I am sure the cone 2 would be the way to go.

You do kinda get what you pay for. Getting something cheap you will do what many people on this site do.... In another year or two they want to upgrade their skimmer..... Vs just paying a little but more and getting the correct skimmer the first time.

i hear that thanks

I have the NAC6 and although it "works" It really is just an "ok" skimmer. I get mostly tea out of the thing.

All the skimmers you listed are "OKAY". If you like the bubble magus skimmers look into sea side aquatics. Same bodies but they run sicce pumps and they're balanced a lot better. The extra money it'd cost to get the aquamaxx is well worth it. Don't short yourself on your skimmer because a good one will help your tank tremendously. The skimmer is 30% of your filtration needs, you don't want one that falls in the 10-20% category.

the only issue i have is water height and clearance in my cabinet my water level is 13" and only have like 26" from bottom of sump to bottom of display tank so the 2nd option skimmers have a 9"-11" water level an 20" tall and if i raise the skimmer to the right water level at 9" will make it 24" tall or 11"level 22" tall and now i have no skimmer so any is better then now

are they that bad whats the cons and why on the bubble magus

budget is $250-300 but would love to be under 200

The main problem with the bubble magus and the reef octopus skimmers is the chineese pumps that they come with. The nwb 150 would probably work pretty well but how long will the pump last? The skimmer body itself is actually a good design as is the bubble magus ( the reef oc is better quality material by far though). The aquamaxx coneS co-1 is 250$ regular price and would be your best bet for any skimmer south of 300$. i've owned a lot of skimmers and trust me when I tell you there'e nothing worse than a dud skimmer. Also, good skimmers come up in the for sale/trade section daily. But quality used before a brand new dud.

Bubble Magud skimmer come with Atman pumps and don't last very long, as Drae said the Seaside aquatics skimmer is the same but uses a Sicce pump ( much better than Atman)

I suggest the Seaside Aquatics ES5 and the E Shops S-120

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pQuX2nlt7sQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The E shopps S-120 is also a good option

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+23953&pcatid=23953

so does this one look good aquamaxx coneS co-1 vote

so does this one look good aquamaxx coneS co-1 vote

The main problem with the bubble magus and the reef octopus skimmers is the chineese pumps that they come with. The nwb 150 would probably work pretty well but how long will the pump last? The skimmer body itself is actually a good design as is the bubble magus ( the reef oc is better quality material by far though). The aquamaxx coneS co-1 is 250$ regular price and would be your best bet for any skimmer south of 300$. i've owned a lot of skimmers and trust me when I tell you there'e nothing worse than a dud skimmer. Also, good skimmers come up in the for sale/trade section daily. But quality used before a brand new dud.

so does this one look good aquamaxx coneS co-1 (vote)

If your asking if the coneS co-1 is a good skimmer then the answer is yes. Reeftivo did a nice review of it and said it was quieter than his bubble king mni 160 ( high end skimmer) and worked just as good. Perfect fit for a 75 gallon also. btw the sea side aquatics es5 is a good skimmer as is the eshopps s120 cone. You have options.

If your asking if the coneS co-1 is a good skimmer then the answer is yes. Reeftivo did a nice review of it and said it was quieter than his bubble king mni 160 ( high end skimmer) and worked just as good. Perfect fit for a 75 gallon also. btw the sea side aquatics es5 is a good skimmer as is the eshopps s120 cone. You have options.

i found some similar skimmers from aquamaxx whats the difference is there any advantages over one another

AquaMaxx ConeS CO-1 Skimmer

AquaMaxx-ConeS-CO-1-In-Sump-Protein-Skimmer-99.jpg

AquaMaxx AM150 Protein Skimmer

$T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufhNfBRiHzhYGbQ~~60_3.JPG

AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM200 Skimmer

AquaMaxx-EcoMaxx-EM200-In-Sump-Protein-Skimmer-1.jpg

That am 150 runs a sedra pump and they're a little out dated. The bottom skimmer looks to be the em300 and thats an excellent skimmer for a 180 gallon or so. The co-1 skimmer would be great for a tank up to maybe 80 gallons. The aquamaxx line of skimmers are great skimmers and not just for the money. As far as in sump needle wheel skimmers go they hit the nail on the head with many of their models. If you are trying to save space in your sump then the em series is the way to go, if you have the room for a non space saving design then the cone series might pull a tad bit more gunk due to the slightly better contact time. Either line in the appropriate size for your system will work well.

That am 150 runs a sedra pump and they're a little out dated. The bottom skimmer looks to be the em300 and thats an excellent skimmer for a 180 gallon or so. The co-1 skimmer would be great for a tank up to maybe 80 gallons. The aquamaxx line of skimmers are great skimmers and not just for the money. As far as in sump needle wheel skimmers go they hit the nail on the head with many of their models. If you are trying to save space in your sump then the em series is the way to go, if you have the room for a non space saving design then the cone series might pull a tad bit more gunk due to the slightly better contact time. Either line in the appropriate size for your system will work well.

so the cone model is still better sounds good to me its for a 75 g display and my sump will hold about 15-20 gallons

this is my sump plan i want the best of the 2 good ones and you say the cones c0-1 well be better them the em200 model

picture.php

Back