Which tank should i get?

fishguy2501

Hey everyone!
I am going to be getting back into saltwater tanks and i cannot decide between 3 options and i was hoping you guys could help. First off, this is my first saltwater tank in about 3 years so i think of myself as a beginner. My goals for this tang are to have a nice mix of gencanthus angels (bellus, swallowtail, lamarks, watanabe), tangs like fowleri, tenneti, black streak surgeons, and yellows to list a few, a group of clowns and their anemones (probably 5 clowns max), wrasses (Halichoeres, cirraharbus, flashers and a few others), and of course, my favorite.... ANTHIAS!!!! I am wanting to do a nice mix of different kinds of anthias, a pair or trio at the most of each species. I am thinking about 5 different species of anthias. I also want to do coral, zoas, euphyllia , elegance, and maybe acropora... But my favorite are zoas and euphyllia. That being said, I know that my fish decisions will change depending on what tank i get. The budget including a few fish and corals is $1,000, but would like to keep it under that.

1*** 75g tank that comes with T5 lights, stand, sump, pump, skimmer, wavemakers, rock(covered in zoas!), sand, and a bunch of other misc stuff. He is asking $225 for everything

2*** 125g that comes with stand, sump, pump, skimmer, pumps, wavemakers, heater, 100lbs of rock, and a palani tang, unicorn tang, and a few other misc fish. He is asking $500 but the thing is that there is no light....

3*** 220g glass tank, stand, jebao return pump, 40b sump, and 3 Chinese box LEDs and he is asking $350 obo

I want the 220g but the amount of rock needed would use up my whole budget I think. Also the 220g is about 2 hours away so renting a truck would add a bit to the cost of it. What are your thoughts? Please tell me what tank and why you would choose it! I would greatly appreciate your input!

Get the 220 because that's the one you say you want. You'll regret it if you settle for less. The cost of rock is stopping you but you can get mostly dry rock and seed with a bit of live, or get half now to get the tank started and add more later. Who knows, you might like the minimalist look.

Get the 220 because that's the one you say you want. You'll regret it if you settle for less. The cost of rock is stopping you but you can get mostly dry rock and seed with a bit of live, or get half now to get the tank started and add more later. Who knows, you might like the minimalist look.

I agree with that and i found someone selling a bunch of rock for cheap just now, about a dollar a pound. then the problem is that it is 2 hours away.. 4 hours round trip.

Why would you choose that? What is the reasoning? More room for fish?

Honestly a larger tank is easier to care for. Not less expensive, just easier to keep from having an emergency because the water volume gives you wiggle room. Also, if you get a larger tank you don't have to fill it to the brim with fish. However if you get a smaller fish you may find yourself risking "one more fish" and then overstocking and having a disaster. The 220 will give you more room for variety, more space for the fish to move, and room for you to grow.
If you have the open area for a 220 then go with it. Especially if it's your only tank.

Honestly a larger tank is easier to care for. Not less expensive, just easier to keep from having an emergency because the water volume gives you wiggle room. Also, if you get a larger tank you don't have to fill it to the brim with fish. However if you get a smaller fish you may find yourself risking "one more fish" and then overstocking and having a disaster. The 220 will give you more room for variety, more space for the fish to move, and room for you to grow.
If you have the open area for a 220 then go with it. Especially if it's your only tank.

Good point... I was thinking to get the 75g and start off with that and upgrade in the near future but why not just start large.. Another thing is that the 125 might include a RODI unit for an extra $50 but with the 220 i wont have an RO unit so i would have to buy one new. I was thinking to just have a company deliver water but that would cost alot especially on a large tank

Good point... I was thinking to get the 75g and start off with that and upgrade in the near future but why not just start large.. Another thing is that the 125 might include a RODI unit for an extra $50 but with the 220 i wont have an RO unit so i would have to buy one new. I was thinking to just have a company deliver water but that would cost alot especially on a large tank

Just because it comes with an Ro unit doesn't mean it's a good deal. I got my 125 for 100 with power heads sump heater and Ro all of which got replaced within the first year. RO got replaced because it was used and not producing 0tds so you could run into that trouble. So in the end I ended up paying 100 just for the tank.

Just because it comes with an Ro unit doesn't mean it's a good deal. I got my 125 for 100 with power heads sump heater and Ro all of which got replaced within the first year. RO got replaced because it was used and not producing 0tds so you could run into that trouble. So in the end I ended up paying 100 just for the tank.

It also included a 6" palini aka dussemeri tang, which are one of my wishlist fish

I would go with the 220and take my time setting it up. The 220 will in the long run be cheaper when you consider that sooner or later you'll want to upgrade the smaller tank to a larger tank.

Go with the 220. The price seems a bit low, but you will have to see it in person to see why. The more space you have in a tank, the better off the fish will be. Of course the bigger tank, leads to more possibilities of fish you can put in it. You also made a statement about having to drive 2 hours for live rock for $2 per pound. Think of what you would be paying online or at a LFS and consider the 2 hour drive. You can hand pick it and get the weight, shapes, sizes you want to choose from and if he has 200 pounds or more, you are good to go.

Price is real low on that 220, so either its a great deal or a disaster. But none of those angels or Tangs you listed are suited for small tanks. So if they are a must have, the 220 is a must have.

75 is just too small ...... limits flexibility, growth, choices

BTW, you don't have to fill the tank with live rock. Just a bit goes along way, and an open aquascape is better for the fish anyhow.

Back