Which Vortech Pumps 10 or 40 for my 75?

Wind

Hi,

I have a typical standard 75 gallon currently with a Tunze Pump, but I would like to get a MP10wQD Vortech as a supplemental secondary pump. I've heard nothing but good things about these, but read about the 'spacers' and such affecting the life of the pump?

I may eventually switch to a larger tank like a 125 in a few years, so I don't know if it may make more sense to just get the MP40wQD in anticipation of future glass thickness?

I've attached a picture of my glass thickness, any guidance is appreciated. My gut feeling is that the MP10wQD would suffice, but I hope to get some feedback and help, seeing that these command a premium.

Thanks

Attachments

• Glass Thickness.jpg
    Glass Thickness.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
the 10 is good for now, but the 40 would be best since you are upgrading. Also since you will only have one MP, you do not need the MP10W saving you like $50 if you want to save money. You can always buy the wireless driver later

Hmm. Okay, and what does the spacer thing supposed to do?
Let me sleep on it a bit, but I am in fact thinking about the 40 now, I'll just tone it lower.

Hmm. Okay, and what does the spacer thing supposed to do?
Let me sleep on it a bit, but I am in fact thinking about the 40 now, I'll just tone it lower.

The spacers are used depending on the thickness of your aquarium glass.
You get three with the MP-40 and they tell you which one to use for which glass thickness.

Last edited:
MP40 for sure. I had a 55g QT with a MP10 on it years ago and at full speed it wouldn't push water to the other side of the tank... Or at least very well

Okay thanks. I may lean on the 40. In general what is the purpose of the spacers? I don't really get it. lol

Okay thanks. I may lean on the 40. In general what is the purpose of the spacers? I don't really get it. lol

They dont want the magnets to close together when the glass is thinner so they add a spacer to get the optimum distance. If they are too close together it puts more strain on the drive shaft.

I had a 40 and a 10 on a 48” 90 gallon tank. Get the 40 and you will be happier. The 10 had to be turned up considerably higher to push water across the tank which will have a more detrimental affect on pump life than a spacer. I’m not even sure how a spacer can affect pump life honestly. My 40 ran with the spacer for three years with no issue and the 40 is now on my 150 gallon still running strong.

Back