White Film / Carbon Dosing

Mock

Saltwater Junkie
I know this is probably a simple question that has been answered a dozen or more times but, yesterday I experienced a white film on the glass of my 250.

It was just like a mucus or bacteria.

I have heard this is common and I am on my third week and currently at about 105ml out of a 350 gallon tank, aprox. .3ml a gallon.

I didn't think I would experience this so soon..

Anyway, I have a meeting to get to but if someone could chime in on their experience with this I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!

bacteria bloom. Wipe it off at night and your coral will feast upon it. It'll also make your skimmer foam up pretty good.

I just keep reading mixed reviews....

Some say cut back you are dosing too much.

Others say its just a stage and will pass.

Which is it?

Its not that bad, was just a haze really and floated around for a minute, tank looked a little cloudy but other than that it was fine.

Skimmer has been pulling out some nasty smelling gunk this past week, I have been told that this just gets worse before it gets better.

All in all I am a little confused, cut back or let it pass?

I have been doing this pretty much text book as Randy Holmes's articles and what I have read of his online. I was about ready to go up another notch this wednesday to around 150ml.

I have been holding at 105 or so for two weeks because I forgot to up last week.

"In my experience, I started with using 15mL vinegar per 100 gallons of water volume and had no problems. I increased weekly by 15mL vinegar per 100 gallons up to 45mL per 100 gallons. Perhaps dosing higher vinegar amounts if necessary will work as well."

This is what I have been trying to accomplish.

" The suspended bacterial might actually be good food for many of our tank organisms, and many people seem to believe that their tank populations of sponges increase when dosing organic carbon. The acetate in vinegar can be taken up by many higher organisms, including the zoox in corals and anemones"

This leads me to believe that I should just leave it unless it gets out of hand and is not just on the glass. Wipe it off, let it go to the sump to grow or be skimmed off.

Maybe my math is wrong??

Last edited:
Some say cut back you are dosing too much.

Others say its just a stage and will pass.

Which is it?
In truth, it could be either. We don't know all that much about what bacteria are in such films. I would cut back for now, out of general caution. A large bacterial bloom might be capable of consuming too much oxygen from the water column.

Back