White fuzz on live rock

I guess I will try half the recommended dose and see what happens. Does that sound like a good starting point? I did this when my fish got velvet with copper and they cleared up nicely with only half the recommended dose.

Cliff

Why is it that many hobbyists look at me funny when I use the proper nomenclature for some of our reef inhabitants

Hear I'm mostly chemistry but on other forums I'm noted for both chemistry and taxonomy. I always get those funny looks also :) I was trained in taxonomy and not chemistry :lol:

Boomer,

When I first started in pest control I had customers who called me about waterbugs in there house. At first I would correct them and tell them they have an infestation of oriental cockroaches. After the remarks I received over several years, I then corrected them and stated that they have a Periplaneta americana infestation. The looks did not stop. I now agree with them and tell them they have a waterbug infestation. :D

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14868267#post14868267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mtb888
I guess I will try half the recommended dose and see what happens. Does that sound like a good starting point? I did this when my fish got velvet with copper and they cleared up nicely with only half the recommended dose.

I don't know if that is a good idea or not. For one thing the manufacturer has reduced the concentration of the active ingredient well below the recommendations that are used in products to kill these type of pest in other applications. They have a good reason for this. They want to reduce the concentration to the minimum that is effective. That said, it is very likely that it may not be effective at half the strength. ;)

We have had several other posts regarding a white type of algae. Who knows if they are all the same specie though. AF works in some cases and not others. This white algae seems to be difficult to control in most cases, even when the water parameters are very good with undetectable nitrate and phosphate. Reducing dissolved organics by reduced feeding, running GAC & GFO while scrubbing it out constantly may be the best bet if AF does not work. Reducing light intensity seems to help especially if you run 10,000 K bulbs which are more conducive to algae growth than the higher wavelengths like 20,000 K. ;)

Yea, I think I noticed it when I took off my phosban reactor.... a couple weeks later noticed my whole tank was full of white smoke or dust.. figured it was a bacterial bloom. Do you know what dosages folks were using? I have a 37 gal tank.

Yea, I think I noticed it when I took off my phosban reactor.... a couple weeks later noticed my whole tank was full of white smoke or dust.. figured it was a bacterial bloom. Do you know what dosages folks were using? I have a 37 gal tank.

Stick with the dose labeled on the AF container. At higher doses the active ingredient is a sterilant, meaning it kills all microbes. Coral have microbes in & on their bodies as symbionts. ;)

Yeah first time I tried with slightly higher doses sps turned brown and Zs&Ps weren't happy. Should the skimmer be off during time of dosing for an amount of time?

I would maintain skimming, GAC, GFO & filter bag collecting during AF treatment process. If AF is going to work on your algae specie, you should see good results by the 10th dose. ;)

I thought I might add to this thread myself and add a couple pics with it. This stuff has been growing for years in my tank that was a fowlr but now I've gotten rid of most of the fish and started stocking corals and better lighting. I would like to identify what I am dealing with so I can eradicate it. I would describe it as a white fuzz covering every square inch of the rock plumbing, and glass that isn't scaped regularly. I would also desribe it as filamentous? spelling? It encroaches on the corals but retreats as the corals(sps) encrust and doesn't cover the sand at all. I tried the methylene blue test and it looked like it stained it but I couldn't be sure because MB stains everything it touches including my fingers and my white kitchen sink, much to my wife's shagrin.
I was actually going to post about this tonight when I stumbled onto this thread. I was intrigued and slightly dismayed to discover this might be a fungus and difficult to treat/eradicate.
My wife took a sample of this to work today to look at it under a scope to help identify whether it was possibly diatoms or dinoflagellates. She said there were dozens of different organisms but the dominant one was strings of rectangular shapes with nuclei and thought it resembled a fungus. (She works in a medical lab and is very familiar with all sorts of microorganisms that affect humans.) Hence the antenna perk up tonight when I started reading this thread about white fuzzy stuff and fungi. I put a sample in the MB and she will take it to work tomorrow and see what stains under the scope and will get a better answer.
I'll post a couple pics in case someone can ID this in any case and I can get a better game plan to remove it without hope fully cooking the rocks.

thought I posted pics but I guess not well here they are hopefully.

Attachments

• algea pic 1 (Custom).jpg
    algea pic 1 (Custom).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 0
  • algea pic 2 (Custom).jpg
    algea pic 2 (Custom).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1
Back