White People Eater???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14800417#post14800417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by the808state
I think most people eater name are name soley for discriptive purposes. White, Green Red, Purple, Orange... some are silly though like Sticky Punch, Ding Dang, Billy Club

While some of the names may be silly, the silly ones can very much have descriptive value IMO.

If you happen to be a reputable RC member who has proven himself in many trades/sales and you tell me you have some billy clubs for trade I dont even need a pic. You tell me you have a people eater zoanthid with a dark purplish face that at times has hints of pinks, purples, blues, and sometimes white splotches or striations with a blend of any of the above colors mentioned.....besides wasting your breath, I can only make a guess and may require a accurate pic to be sure.

its only when 18 names are given for the same or very similar polyp, and everyone easily jumps to the conclusion that becasue their polyp looks slightly different than billy clubs and becasue of that it makes it a unique polyp deserving of a new and unique name do the silly names lose their value, marketing aside

jmo of course :)

Last edited:
Yes I agree that names are for descriptive value, and even more so for communication (which can be used for marketing). A "people eater" of course is an absurd name, but now has become regularly used to refer to a polyp with a fluorescent green mouth.

I think coral keepers have had to resort to these names because scientific nomenclature is at a loss to describe the variability present in corals. Names (scientific, common, and descriptive/absurd) let you communicate the characteristics of a coral without a photo. That's why I think that they have value, not because you can then commercialize the coral. Particularly when you are dealing with clonal lineages I think these names are very useful.

gioNVA ---- i have some PE like yours, definetely beautifuls.. but they're not all white like in the first pic. i've had this polyps in diferent places in my tank and they are always like this color...
i guess they're milky way PE, i'm not sure about it., many silly names for PEs.,

l_02b17f679760421bb2ed04cc86f9bcaf.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14802273#post14802273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by therman
A "people eater" of course is an absurd name, but now has become regularly used to refer to a polyp with a fluorescent green mouth.

actually the term "people eater" isnt just so much a silly name to describe just the green mouth. While that is certainly a characteristic, the term people eater is the common name for the zoanthid species Zoanthus Gigantus. It happens to be of the very few zoanthus types that the majority of hobbyists can actually use a accurate scientific species name for.

Do you mean Zoanthus pacificus? Zoanthus giganteus doesn't seem to be a valid species.

I'm pretty sure "people eater" would not be THE common name, maybe A (horrendously unofficial) common name. And if you tried to call a Z. pacificus that didn't have a green mouth a "people eater" you would probably be flamed ;)

nope. I meant exactly what I said, and anybody who has been in the hobby very long would certainly not flame me for saying so. ;)

If they did i would have my wife put a curse on them to burn in hell for eternity.

broom.jpg

Last edited:
My apologies flyyyguy, your spelling was correct and mine was incorrect so it wasn't coming up in database searches. Zoanthus gigantus it is!

Call off the hex!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14807149#post14807149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by therman

Call off the hex!

You know how hard it is to get a woman to do what you ask in the first place. Trying to get her to change what you had her do in the first place is like trying to nail jello to a tree. As much as Id like to oblige, Im afraid of her and it doesnt look too good for you.

just kidding. Its all good. :)

Last edited:
Back