White People Eater???

zoagirl

i've had this frag for a couple months but today i was looking at it and i noticed that one polyp was more white than the others...

is this polyp a white PE ? what do u think ?

l_72fc372b3682479890c0fa5523a73108.jpg

Billy Clubs? I have some in my tank and they do cool things under different intensity of lighting. Most recently a new polyp shot out that was pinkish with speckles.

Quite a few PE's can do funny things with whites and off whites like that, and the same polyp under different circumstances can have hardly any white or spackles in it at all.

its what makes all PE polyps probably my favorite polyp type overall. If its a PE and I dont already have it I want it :)

Billy clubs can certainly go all over the place but here is an example I have the most varied samples of probably. These are all surely the same polyp as all pics are mine. Youve seen them commonly called Green Stardusts, Aspens, Dreamweavers to name a few of the most common names for the same polyp. When they show a little purple and are referred to as Dreamweavers they seem to be able to fetch the most money I have noticed from various websites. Ive seen green stardusts for $2/3 a polyp and dreamweavers for $40.

greenstardustaspen.jpg

aspens.jpg

mag.jpg

aspen.jpg

gs1.jpg

aspenn.jpg

stardust.jpg

aspens.jpg

For a long time they used to be my favorite green PE until I recently found these. I look forward to seeing where these can morph to

unkpe.jpg

I've got some that are all blue/white under higher light. Been wanting to submit them to zoaid and call them Wampas (Icy blue-white...eat people...Empire Strikes Back!) :D

I'll try to get a good pic one of these days.

the PEs pics above ^ are amazing. thanks for sharing your PE...

maybe my PE is new one... i love it.

PEs are my favorite polyp too !!!

I dont think I made the point I was trying to make very well. :)

I say this as several people pm'd me looking for the white polyp I posted above, or for a specific picture I quoted above,,as well as therman making a new name up for the polyps they described.

Just becasue a polyp has morphed to white, does NOT make it a new and unique polyp. In most cases makes it is the same polyp that has already been named, in many cases several times as people think its different. Put the thing in a different system, or a different place in the tank, allow it to lose the bulk of the white so you can see what colors are really there. In most cases you will find it is a already named and commonly known polyp.

regards :)

To clarify I was not trying to name a polyp posted, but rather one that is in my tank. I have not seen a similar named polyp. They are not the same as the photos posted here.

Mine are a wild colony. They are probably the same "species" as the Palythoa posted here, but are not the same "morph".

gotcha.

I shouldnt have singled you out in the first place and I apologize. I had a 3 year old beating the crap out of me and I was trying to type fast

cheers :)

I was just looking around in my tank for other examples and found something kind of funny. I honestly have no idea where I got this PE or what it looked like when I first got it. I know it didnt look anything like that or i would have remembered it. I just moved it so I could get the camera on it so its not fully open. However, these are certainly what I would call bleached to some extent. You can tell by the skirts. If they werent bleached though they would be surely a nearly solid white color on the face. Its really hard to say one way or another if a polyp si the same or very similar unless you have a polyp for a long enough time to see how it behaves in different circumstances. And any polyp recently removed from the ocean and instantly being given a new and unique name is silly, and does undermine the name game and the reasons many of us do use it for identification purposes. Its all marketing at that point and just substantiates some of the reasons certain people are name haters.

bleachedPEs.jpg

Last edited:
I think most people eater name are name soley for discriptive purposes. White, Green Red, Purple, Orange... some are silly though like Sticky Punch, Ding Dang, Billy Club

I truly think you should send them to me for further study!!! I promise to study them very hard and for a very long time...and ummm report my findings back to you!!!

Interesting about it being the same paly but variations in the white strations. The various markings are wild aren't they? Each of them having that whole tiny universe look.

Back