White PVC, I want it black.

BlakDuc

Fragger
Premium Member
What is the best thing to use? I have heard Krylon Fusion. These fittings are going to be used inside the tank under the water. Is it going to be ok? Also, will this work for painting the back of the tank as well? Thanks in advance.

Couldn't find any at Home Depot. I already have it mostly plumbed, just waiting for my pump. I was looking at the tank and was noticing how crappy the white stood out against the black background.

"Paint" it with the purple pvc primer. Looks cool and matches coraline.

I used Krylon Fusion on mine though.

I already have all of the pieces in white, so rebuying them is not an issue. I will just use the Fusion. Thanks for all the help.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9308474#post9308474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atvdave
coralline algae will cover it in 6 months anyway.

not everyone likes coralline covered pvc/back wall/pipes in their tanks. ;)

i despise the stuff, and wish it would go away. You wont find a speck of it on my glass or anything else for that matter that i can clean :p

Just an FYI and certainly not an effort to second guess more experienced fellow reefers, but I contacted Krylon and asked them if their Krylon Fusion would be safe if painted on PVC and placed inside a saltwater tank. Their response was that, in time, they expect it would fall off the PVC. Ironically, I just got that e-mail today.

I wonder how long that time will take. This tank will only be set up for a max of 2 years. I transfer from here then and will be upgrading at that time. I am sure it will last at least that long.

The stuff has only been out a few years and isnt intended for marine use, so nobody really knows what it will do in our tanks in the long run. Paint seperating from the pvc may be the least of the problems it could cause. Safer to use something intended for the hobby or more time tested.

Krylons just fine on pvc in reefs... My 65's had krylon covered pvc (14' of 1", as a manifold) for 2 years now - no issues.

Go with the Krylon and don't look back. If it peels off in 3 years, then that's just a good excuse to yank it all out, clean it, or redo it all from fresh anyway.
Guy

To hide my white pipes I used black plastic, convoluted, split wire loom. Just slip it on the pipe. It doesnt need to completly cover the pipe, just the side that you see.

I painted some pipes with Krylon and it began peeling within 12 months. I've also had the purple primer eventually flake off a bit. Paints are generally pigmented with oxides or sulfides of heavy metals. I can't help wondering if eventually the paint would start to break down and release the metals into the tank.

Back