white spots on my blue hipo tang

nychris351

I woke up this morning and noticed my tang with about a half dozen white spots on each side...I checked my other fish and all are fine...my other fish are 2 firefish..2 clown fish....a yellow tang..a mandarin goby and a six line wrasse...I added an ich treatment to my system...which is a 150 gal with a 54 gal sump....should I isolate the infected tang..what should I do with all my other fish..should I leave those in themain display?

If you can get the tang out of the tank and get him into a QT to treat him it would be better. Do you have inverts, LR in your tank?

yes I have a purple lobster..an anemone a coral banded shrimp and about 125lbs of live rock and 3inch sandbed...I read through the "ich" post...just wanted some more opinions

You should take them all out of the tank and treat them in QT.
The display will have to be left fishless for 6-8 weeks to starve out the remaining Ich or the fish will just get reinfected when you put them back in.

medication is usually copper, and this can kill all inverts now and for the next few years! If you added copper to the DT run heavy carbon ASAP.

Heres the issue now: your fish has ich=your tank has ick=everything in the tank may have ich! (and the tank (sand, rock) is infected.

This may be an issue forever unless all fish go to a copper tank, and the DT is fallow for 5 weeks or more.

I QT all new fish in cupramine for 4 weeks or more prior to adding to the tank.

Raising the temp speeds the life cycle, not always a good thing, only in quarantine.

At the least, soak all food in garlic. Can act as a preventative.

Back