White stuff growing in my new 10 gallon tank 6 days old

Nick986

Hello, I a new to the whole reef tank hobby. I set up my tank 10 gallon tank with live sand, live rock, filter is 150gph. It has carbon and a filter and some bio rocks. The tank is at 75 degrees. Using two 25 W light bulbs. I'm not sure what the white stuff is growing on the rock. Is it something bad or is it normal? How do I get rid of it if it is bad? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's the same, but I have some similar looking stuff that has been in my tank for a couple of years now. It's in a corner and doesn't grow much, I always assumed it to be a sponge of some sort.

I would also go with something in the sponge family .also you may want to raise your temp a couple of deg.

I find it unattractive and would attempt to make it go away. It appears to be isolated to the one piece of rock, if you like it keep it, if not ask it to leave. I would collect the water removed at the next water change (or just mix up a batch for this exercise) and use it to rinse the Rock between scrubbings/scrappings. Pull it out of the tank, scrub/scrape away the stuff, rinse with the removed water change water and return it to the tank.
Get several openions, take your time, have a plan, because it doesn't seem to be any emergency.

Don't return to the tank a rock that has something objectionable on it. Scrubbing it often causes the organism to break up and multiply. This is true of sponge, mushrooms, algae, various other growths. Either decide you can live with it or get that rock out and replace it with a piece of dry holey limestone rock of equivalent size.

Back