Who has a heater on their tank(s)? after Jgoal55's story.

necrio

Okay, so after reading Jgoal55's story about his sister in law's heater going crazy killing fish and almost hurting him a lot. It got me thinking about whether or not to get a heater.

I have heaters for my FW tanks but none for my pond or my goldfish. Its spooky to own a heater after hearing so many horror stories.

Reading some of the comments people say "Why have a heater in S FL weather" and I sort of agree.

I mean, there are times when it does get cold during the next couple months, but nothing crazy.

So, who has a heater and who doesnt? Those who don't, do you have any problems? Is there something you wouldn't keep without the temperature control of a heater?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with Jgoal55's story, but having been zapped good by a broken glass heater, i've thought about it. I think you can pretty much cover your basas as far as heaters go by using titanium heaters controlled by a quality temp controller (IE: Ranco, Medussa, etc.). The possibility of malfunction still exists, but chances are greatly reduced. I have followed this advice for at least 8 years. I have not been zapped, and my tank has not cooked. Not definitive evidence, but so far, so good.

Yeah. You should read it. Its spooky. Just been reading about since I've posted this question and I read another story of a guy losing a grand of livestock to a 30 dollar heater. I live in S FL, so the temps are pretty consistint. However, it is starting to become "nice" and eventually perhaps even chilly! ( like 70f. . .)

I have a titanium heater connected to my apex. If the temp reaches 83 the outlet my heater is connected to shuts off. Its controlled by the apex not the heater so i have a little peace of mind.

The titanium heaters are the best. You can still have the seals go bad where the electric ties in, but you won't have the tube itself crack or break like the glass (quartz) or thermal plastic ones can. As far as putting any electrical item in a tank, doesn't matter how well made, always keep in mind it can leak electric.

Never gave it much thought but I too have a titanium heater in my sumpless 40br, connected to my Apex. Never comes on and never gives me issue. I keep it mainly because when it does get cool we'll open up the windows and such and let it drop down to 67F sometimes.

Thanks for everyone's input. It is giving me some relief to know there are options that are less risky for the huge investments.

:D

never on my dt but I have a tank in my garage that needs one. if you have a controller and a gfci I think the chances of a catastrophe are slim

Haven't owned a heater in a few decades, and have zero plans of getting one.

That being said, those with smaller tanks that have the potential for temp swings have no choice for those few days temp does drop in SF. I agree, GFCI and controller would be the way to go for those.

So yeah, I have a heater in my tank now but did not put one back in my sis-in-laws tank cuz it really didn't ned one. I think there a few things to consider:

1) Like Eddie said, consider size of tank - My current tank is 38g and more susceptible to temp swings.

2) Do you open your windows on our 3 or 4 "cold" days of the year? If so, do what Marvin said and just drop one in for those few days.

3) How cold do you keep the AC and is the tank open top? If so, and if there is a vent near the tank blowing cold air at it, you may need a heater. If you keep your air at 70 degrees like I do with an open top tank, the heater becomes almost necessary. This is why I have one on my current tank.

There are definitely ways to run a tank in So Fla without a heater, you just have to keep that in mind on those chilly days. If you don't have a heater handy, probably best not to open the windows too much.

And of course, if you are gonna get a heater, I would never get one and trust the internal temp control. Get yourself a RANCO or better yet, a controller and definitely get titanium.

My story happened not because the heater wasn't connected to a controller, but because the heaters were poorly made and the heater cracked. Marineland had a recall on them for a while and I for some reason, hadn't heard about it. Grabbing a heater without turning it off first was my mistake and dumb on my part. Had I turned it off I wouldn't have gotten zapped. Also, a titanium heater would have most likely avoided the whole situation.

So overall, my suggestion, don't get a heater unless you really, really need it. Most likely you don't. But if you do, get titanium and get a controller of some sort. Those are must haves for heaters.

So yeah, I have a heater in my tank now but did not put one back in my sis-in-laws tank cuz it really didn't ned one. I think there a few things to consider:

1) Like Eddie said, consider size of tank - My current tank is 38g and more susceptible to temp swings.

2) Do you open your windows on our 3 or 4 "cold" days of the year? If so, do what Marvin said and just drop one in for those few days.

3) How cold do you keep the AC and is the tank open top? If so, and if there is a vent near the tank blowing cold air at it, you may need a heater. If you keep your air at 70 degrees like I do with an open top tank, the heater becomes almost necessary. This is why I have one on my current tank.

There are definitely ways to run a tank in So Fla without a heater, you just have to keep that in mind on those chilly days. If you don't have a heater handy, probably best not to open the windows too much.

And of course, if you are gonna get a heater, I would never get one and trust the internal temp control. Get yourself a RANCO or better yet, a controller and definitely get titanium.

My story happened not because the heater wasn't connected to a controller, but because the heaters were poorly made and the heater cracked. Marineland had a recall on them for a while and I for some reason, hadn't heard about it. Grabbing a heater without turning it off first was my mistake and dumb on my part. Had I turned it off I wouldn't have gotten zapped. Also, a titanium heater would have most likely avoided the whole situation.

So overall, my suggestion, don't get a heater unless you really, really need it. Most likely you don't. But if you do, get titanium and get a controller of some sort. Those are must haves for heaters.

Yep. :wavehand::debi:

My LFS told me that this heater is top of the line and dont have to worry of it malfunctioning or breaking.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-neo-therm-submersible-heater.html

I have never used it myself. I actually need to buy a heater and leaning more towards this one. Does anyone have any input?

The heater (or any other piece of equipment) that won't malfunction or break hasn't been invented yet ;) While some are certainly better than others, fail safe just doesn't exist.

Back