• No, never.

Votes: 51 53.7%
  • I used to but now I don't.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I never used to but now it's a must.

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters

gummi

Who here quarantines? Obviously we know why you would but for those who don't - why NOT?

There's some controversy as many think that:

a) fish are already quarantined/medicated in a quality reef shop
b) it stresses the fish out and can lead to disease/ich breakout
c) extra money
d) can't wait - 6 weeks to have a beautiful fish out of the display tank can be hard
e) buy a UV sterilyzer. It won't kill ich or velvet but will keep unwanted bacteria from appearing...

This post comes 3 1/2 weeks after I lost my 3 fish to velvet. I planned on setting up a QT tank but with a new house (fencing, high property taxes, car repair) I wasnt able to swing the cash to put together a QT system. On top of that may of my sources say that as long as you buy your fish from a quality store (buy a $60 yellow tang instead of a $25), you should be fine...

Comments?

I am getting a Yellow Tang (hopefully this week) and have my QT setup already.
Once a fish is in the Display Tank it can be really tough to remove them without disturbing the rock work.
Add to that the risk of losing all of your fish, and the cost of a QT goes down dramatically.
To be honest I did not QT my first 5 fish, but now that I have my False Percs and FF Goby, all new fish must be QT (My personal rule).
Ken

Always. Took me a case of ich early on to learn my lesson. I'll never not use one again.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10443982#post10443982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tkeracer619
QT is like practicing safe...... wait nvmnd. You just need to use one ;).

:lol:

I always QT.. even rock.. One look at a tank covered in aptasia and that's enough for me.. (

and the thought of spending all the time batteling something unwanted, when its not necessary)

I can't believe "no" is currently winning... granted not by much but I am disturbed it's even a close call! I don't care how many people say they never QT and havn't had a problem yet... continuing that way WILL result in a problem at some point it's just probability at work. Better safe than sorry, your money to waste... unfortunately it's the fishes LIFE at stake.

I did when I had extra tanks to quarantine in. I'm not making many additions right now either - my tank has been totally stocked (slightly overstocked) for over a year.

If I were upgrading to a larger tank and thus buying a lot of fish in the near future I would think I could break even on the investment in a quarantine tank versus higher mortality rates (get the quarantine setup paid for by virtue of losing less fish).

IMO it is an absulte must for a beginner to QT... they just don't always have the exp necessary to cull out "risky" specimens from a dealers tank...

I have found, however, if one is prudent when purchasing new specimens it is not as necessary - maybe not even at all. I always insist on certain criteria before I purchase any new specimen:

- I must see it eat. Period. The old LFS excuse 'we just fed them an hour ago' is baloney. Even a "full" fish will pick at food if you feed it again.

- No visible torn fins, scars, or wounds

- You can discern alot from the 'attitude' of the fish. Is the color very subdued? A little paleness is OK in an open, often bare dealer tank, but not a total whitewash... does the fish swim out in the open or cower in a corner? Does it look like it is 'afraid' of all the other fishes in the same dealer tank? Is it 'afraid' of you looking in? Again, does it show interest in feeding or is it swimming past the live brine "in a daze"...?

I have also found that even in the event a new specimen gets ill, it almost never affects the previous tank inhabitants if your tank is 'healthy' w/ good water quality, etc. - unless a previous tank inhabitant was already 'sick' to start with. While I have experienced a new fish or 2 getting ick, for example, it has never spread to the other fish because a truly 'healthy' fish should be "immune" to catching this disease. If it does spread then the affected fish were already stressed out or in some way had their natural immunity compromised...

I voted no.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10447709#post10447709 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlso63
I have also found that even in the event a new specimen gets ill, it almost never affects the previous tank inhabitants if your tank is 'healthy' w/ good water quality, etc. - unless a previous tank inhabitant was already 'sick' to start with. While I have experienced a new fish or 2 getting ick, for example, it has never spread to the other fish because a truly 'healthy' fish should be "immune" to catching this disease. If it does spread then the affected fish were already stressed out or in some way had their natural immunity compromised...

Exactly.

I know i'm "risking it", and I dont advise others not to quarantine, I just dont usually.

I quarantined my 3 female anthias for about 10 days to make sure they were eating, they are with me still today. I quarantined a copperband butterfly and a small goby to make sure they ate, they died. I don't skip quarrantine for any particular reason, don't read to far into it, it just doesnt usually get done.

I don't QT, never have. It's been mentioned but you can go 10 years with introducing nothing in your tank and your fish break out with ICH. Just because it's not killing the fish doesn't mean it isn't there.

Aside from that, the added stress of putting the fish in a tiny tank for 4-6 weeks is IMO unnecessary. If adding one fish to your tank crashes the whole tank I would think there was something else wrong.

I would never try to talk someone out of QTing and on the same token I think it's a little extreme to say things like "It's the fish's life at stake", or "It's your money."

Not quarantining is like playing reef roulette (hope i spelled it right). More often then not you will be ok not qt-ing, however....5 times out of 6 that we take a turn at russian roulette you will be ok too. But that 6th and final time your gonna wish you had not taken the gamble. How many people do you know actually play runnian roulette?..........exactly!!!!! now apply that same logic to your reef and tell me weather or not you need to qt. Additionaly just because in 10 years you could get shot anyway does not mean you should play the game today. If in fact infestation is imminant weather you qt or not i would think 10 happy years of reefing would be better then loosing your equatic palls along the way never having expierienced the joy they bring to you and your family. The choice is your

Also as a last thought uv sterilizers don't work as well as you think and corals inverts and rock need to be qt as well i free swimming ich trofant in a droplet of water that came in on anything you buy can infest your whole tank....qt everything...right down to every last snail.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10446442#post10446442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by on3ofak1nd
I can't believe "no" is currently winning...

hmm, I wouldn't look at it as NO is winning. It's just the most common answer. I voted no and I have had bad results at times but here's my deal; I have one system that consumes much of my free time and to set up another one will result in competition for that time. Another pump, tank, piping, et.al.

Yeah someday I will set up a quarantine tank and system, even though I never do it doesn't mean I don't disagree with it.

I dont quaratine but then again I only buy my fish from my store and we do 10-15 minute fresh water baths for new arrivals and run copper in our FO systems as well. I have yet to see any fish with ick or any other disease for that matter.

I'm not against quaratining and think its a great way to be safe, in fact when I set my 210 up next month, every fish will be quaratined before entering that tank.

The problem, for me anyway, is you have to have a big enough system to quaratine larger fish, you cant stick a large angel, tang, or grouper into 10 or 20 gal. quaratine tank for 4-6 weeks without causing stress on the fish. Luckily for me though I have not had any disease issues which I attribute to buying from a reputable fish store.

I will be turning my 44 gal into a quaratine when I set up my 210 which will house all fish and LR prior to entering my display tanks.

Anyways, I voted NO because its the truth, not to say its the right thing to do.

Back