Whos got a flame angel in their sps tank?

no problem with mine. i have a clam, sps, and some lps. just keep an algae clip in the tank and he'll eats that

I had 1, that wreaked havoc on my SPS, and LPS. I would not advise it. Funny thing is, he didn't touch any coral for almost a full year. And he was well fed, probably to well fed since I was pretty fresh in the hobby back then and over fed pretty heavily.

I have a flame angel and i keep it very well feed and doesnt touch anyhting in my tank whick is sps/zoa and clams.

1.5 years in a 75g and he hasnt touched a thing. nips at rocks but completely ignores my lps, sps and clams.

lucky i guess.

my first flame never touched anything....then he touched the carpet....had clams

have my second one now, and never touched anything.....keep them fed should be good...

I had 1, that wreaked havoc on my SPS, and LPS. I would not advise it. Funny thing is, he didn't touch any coral for almost a full year. And he was well fed, probably to well fed since I was pretty fresh in the hobby back then and over fed pretty heavily.

+1^^ I had the EXACT same experience to a T. I actually posted the same question a few months back and got the same mixed results. I decided to take the chance as you may be. I would completely advise against it but this is only based on my own experience which wasn't a good one. As you can see there are many people that say no problem and others (such as myself) that advise againse it. Generally speaking, this fish is about 50/50. You could get a model citizen and you could get a PITA! You never know till you know. Good luck if you choose to get one.

i have always had one, since they are one of my favorite fish. I have a 240 which is mostly sps and have 2 clams. Have had other setups in the past 25 yrs similar and always had flames, coral beauties, flame backs, imperators and others. Your sps won't polyp out much during the day unless it is a big colony and deep enough to where the angles can't get to the polyps. But the polyps just recede during the day and come out at night to feed, like in the wild. To answer your question< I guess I would say if you want your sps to polyp out during the day, not to have angles of any kind, but if you want it to be like in the wild, then go for it. JMHO

IMO all Centropyge are a risk and most will nip at some point. Over the years I have kept them in most of my tanks, although I have recently decided corals are more important than fish so for me it's not worth the risk. My advice is if you do decide to get one make sure you will be able to live with the possibility of losing corals or be sure you can remove it easily if a problem arises.

I have mine almost a year now. Nip little bit like algae grazer, but no real damage to SPS and Clams.

Flame Angels are hit or miss on what they will pick at and how often they will pick at it. I had one that would pick on clam mantles occasionally but kept 8 clams at one time in my tank for years. With all three that I owned they would nip at most sps polyps when they were out. For this reason polyp extension was horrible during the day and ruined the look of my millepora. None of my corals actually died from Flame Angels though.

well had him in there for 4 days and last night i spent 4 hours trying to catch him because he picked at my clam and 4 of my frags causing them to close up, so i caught him and am now selling him today, thought id update.

I forgot to add,

My flame occassionally nips @ my sps. I think the reason behind that is because I forgot to feed the tank that day

Back