whos running radium bulbs localy

madadi

ReefOG
i was curious to see who is using radium 400W bulbs locally and what kind of ballast are you using. is the color really blue, whitish or yellowish?

i cant decide if i should get the PFO HQI, blue line or galaxy ballast. i think the bulb will burn bluest on the galaxy ballast and whitest on the PFO. right?

I am running 400W Radiums with Galaxy ballasts by Sunlight Supply. The color is really blue. Not sure how they run on the PFO's.

I'm running them on a 400 watt SLS HQI ballast and love 'em.

Don't know if they're bluer or whiter than on a electronic ballast..

I started running them on BW VII's, then I was running them on Galaxy ballasts, and I just swithed over to dimmable Coralvue's. I have them running at 375w(15w over their rating, remember they are 360w bulbs) and they are a bit more blue then on the Galaxy ballasts and way more blue then on the Bluewave's.

Remember if you run them on the HQI ballast, they will need to be replaced every six months, if not sooner depending on how long you run them.

I run Radiums on PFO HQIs. Nice crisp blue, almost like a nice driving headlight. Sucks though because PFO stopped making halides ballasts. Gotta love Radiums though. I have 18-24 months old Radiums over my display and sps(not montis either..) are still growing pretty fast.

PFO HQI all the way. They're still easy to find if you look. The PFO HQI/Radium color is absolutely fantastic. Very crisp.

If I ever went back to MH then i'd have to dig around for some PFO HQI's and go back to Radium 20K.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14154266#post14154266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aiko670
The Sunlight Supply HQI ballasts are the same as the PFO and are cheaper.

Not when PA was selling all of their stock out! Dual 400's were like $200.

I know it's a special situation, but it would be unlike me not to throw it in your face for no reason at all. :lol: Now quit disrupting my PFO schilling and go back to hijacking for sale threads!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14161778#post14161778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gondore
Anyone running the 250 watt Radiums on Gallaxy ballasts? If so do you have any pictures?

I do, but the picture is terrible and the sand is going to get yanked if it doesn't clear up soon.
IMG_1264.jpg

matt880305,

The new coralvue ballasts have a quick connect plug.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14155618#post14155618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kerusso316
Blue on electronic.Medium on Magnetic.Whiter on HQI

i wonder if this is really true. i use magentic ballasts now and i thought radium will not fire at all on magnetic. maybe ill just buy a bulb and try it out. see how it fires.

i only have a lumenbright reflector over the tank and i wanted to get radium bulbs because they look great even without supplemental lighting if run on the right ballast.

i was thinking of getting a coralvue dimmable ballast but i heard there was issues with the bulb flickering. if the ballast starts up the bulb well then maybe this is the best option since i can dial the bulb to the best color i like by adjusting the voltage????

Adrian Marine Depot may have some PFO HQI in stock. Says limited availability worth a shot

Gondore The 250w versions dont look so great. I'd pass on the bulb IMO

i always thought the PFO HQI ballasts run them too white and will still need some actinic supplementation no?

I never had a problem with my Radium 20K/PFO HQI (250w) combination. I suppose it's all about personal preference. :)

Menard? i think i seen a thread about him using radiums as well and switching ballasts.

how often do you change your bulbs ekrunch

They fire on magnetics just fine.And remember this is a 20K bulb.No actinics needed IMO.But you can if you want.

Back