why after one year alge start growing ?

aseer

i have my 500 l tank running for one years without any probelms and now sww what hapen
befor
attachment.php

now

attachment.php

attachment.php

i run gfo for 2 month and still runing and i chang the midea every week and every month i do water change
iam having this since 4 month now i try every things still no effect

Attachments

• IMG00452-20110417-1845.jpg
    IMG00452-20110417-1845.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03084.jpg
    DSC03084.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02747.jpg
    DSC02747.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Its hard to tell from the picture but it could be Bryopsis. It is going to take some work to get rid of it but lets start with a better close up picture of the algae itself.

What is your magnesium level?

this pic is befor 6 month every thing was ok
i made some mistake when i post them sorry
i will try to get better pic

nitrates and/or phosphates are high..

if they are both low.. the only algae that will grow is coralline..

because you've got other algae growing.. says one or both of these is higher than it should be..

Last edited:
I had this happen once ..turned out my bulbs where old..how long have your bulbs been in your system..i changed them and it slowly went away.

This happens a lot to people as tanks mature. Usually when maintenance isn't kept up routinely. Here are some tips to keep a tank "fresh" and not fall into the old tank syndrome:

-Use a powerhead/turkey baster to blow out detritus from your rocks.
-Siphon the sand bed religiously (every week), they are detritus traps.
-Siphon or shop-vac your sump frequently every time you do a water change.

The whole, "old bulb" thing is rubbish IME. If you don't have nutrients in your water column nuisance algae won't grow and nutrients come from detritus (fish poop) that settles in your tank and isn't removed. First, get rid of all your detritus. Next, manually scrub out as much algae as possible. Then, do 25% water changes every week for at least a month. A GFO reactor changed weekly will also help bring the phosphates down quickly. Good luck.

If its bryopsis it will grow in almost perfect water conditions.

You need to post a pic that helps us identify the algae. Until then nobody can give you a good way to solve your problem.

Back