Why are my snails all at the top of my tank?

Wiscofish

Hi all, my 55 gal tank is about a month and a half old now. Temp 81, salinity 1.024, ammonia 0, nitrate 0. I've gone through the diatom bloom and I've got coraline and a bit of green algae growth. I have 4 corals in the tank. 4 of my 9 snails are just hanging out at the top of my tank. Some just above the surface some just under. Does this mean anything significant? Any input would be appreciated.

You have coraline after a month! thats crazy normally you dont get coraline for 6-8 months! and no nothing significant just where they ended up they will follow their food lol! so they will end up going back down after a while.

Temp is a bit high,like mentioned.
You need to test your alk.May have nothing to do with your snail behavior.
But,needs to be checked.

Thanks for all the feedback. The temp is coming down. I just got a new heater and I'm trying to dial it in. My alk is around 8-9. Not real sure about the test. I'm wondering if I really have coraline algae now. Probably red slime?

Thanks for all the feedback. The temp is coming down. I just got a new heater and I'm trying to dial it in. My alk is around 8-9. Not real sure about the test. I'm wondering if I really have coraline algae now. Probably red slime?

Best thing you can do is take a picture of it an post it. That's really the easiest for us to know what kind of stuff you got in there.

Touch it or try to scrape it off... If its slimy or dusty thats bad but if it's coralline it won't really come off. I had coralline algae really early too, and that's the advice I got to tell the difference between that or something icky!

I've seen inverts do this when there isn't enough O2 exchange. Nerites do this all the time and will actually crawl OUT, which is why I don't like them. However, try aiming a powerhead at the surface of the water to agitate it a bit. It may fix the problem.

Lack of oxygen was my first thought but snails do weird things. 82 is highest recommended temp by most people, but 85-86 is where it becomes deadly. Most people set temp based on climate where they live. Temps below 76 ime can really upset corals that are used to higher temps. I keep my tank at 80.5 in winter to buy time in case of power failure, but 77.5 in summer for same reason since it gets hot quick with no air conditioning.

My snails wander all over top to bottom and everywhere in between. Unless you are seeing anything else out of the ordinary I would not worry about it. just my 2 cents.

No big deal, most algae and food can be at the surface/waterline. Snails are tide pool fans, so they like the top of the waterline. As long as the snails stick to the glass they are good to go. You have issues when you find empty shells.

My snails do this too, I would recommend you lower your temperature to 78F and raise the oxygen in the tank by more flow and surface agitation.
For me I keep the bracing of my tank salt creep free, I am scared that if the snail ends up stock in a patch of salt, it would "burn" to death.
In my tank the snails do come down at night, probably a temperature issue.

There is nothing wrong with your temp being at 81

I would think you are right. I scuba dive and the Caribbean reefs are that or warmer in the summer. In facts, the 78 degrees max recommended is the winter temps in many areas. Of course, coral bleaching can occur in the mid eighties so 78 degrees leaves a safety margin.

No big deal, most algae and food can be at the surface/waterline. Snails are tide pool fans, so they like the top of the waterline. As long as the snails stick to the glass they are good to go. You have issues when you find empty shells.

This is all it is. Your snails are simply following instinct.

Back