Why do my fish hide all the time?

saleen2881

HELLO i have 90 gallon reef with 5 fish ! i have 150 pounds of live rock. what i wanna know is why my fish are always hiding?

With that much rock it could be that the fish don't know they are hiding, Check your parameters something could be off. like betamed said they may need time.

After all this abuse, we should at least try to answer his question. A few things to consider...
Stray voltage? Use a grounding probe. Water parameter issues? Harsh lighting? A bully in the tank? Do the fish seem relaxed, going about their business, even though they're in the rocks?

Try feeding near the same time and place each day. When my fish see me near that position (outside the tank) they get all excited, even if it's not feeding time.

In my experience, newly added fish will hide for a week or two. After that time period my fish tend to come out and to the surface when seeing people. My guess is they assume they are going to be fed.

Are you related to Marty Feldman?

picture.php

I had a singapore angel that hid for 3 months. Never saw the little guy until he had removed all the nuisance algae off the rocks. only then did I ever get that fish to feed and actually stay visible when you looked at the tank. he decided to turn on some SPS and was evicted.

Fish all have their own personalities. give them time, make the room the tank is in a bit darker and over time they will give up their shyness. (for the most part)

What is the room they are located in like? how long have you had them? Angels are shy fish to begin with. they spend most of their day in teh reef rocks anyways. the blue tang is also a shy fish and tend to be quite skittish. the yellow tang will be the brave one of the three.

When I put our flame angel in the tank, it hid for 3 days and then came out but for another week would dart behind the rocks if anyone entered the room. Took it about a month to get comfortable. Right about that time he became a huge PITA and it took me another 3 months to catch the bugger.

Try to get a couple Blue/green chromis or a mated pair of clowns.my purple firefish and royal gramma used to hide all the time intill i got these fish.

I would suggest that you feed the fish the same time everyday till they used to being fed when people are around. Food is usually the best motivator.

Back